Thread: Horsefly
View Single Post
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 23-08-15, 07:07 AM
RoyW__ RoyW__ is offline
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 680

Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
PS - they used to be known as cleggs or cleggies IIRC. Anyone else have this recollection?
The name 'Clegg' is used for all species in the genus Haematopoda, which have mottled wings.

The one in these photos is a Tabanus species, probably Tabanus sudeticus (Dark Giant Horsefly) - so this one isn't a clegg.
Reply With Quote