View Single Post
Old 08-06-17, 10:11 PM
Regular

Default Titchfield haven nature reserve - 23 - 04 - 2017

My first visit to this location and again with the Stourbridge Local RSPB Group, left Stourbridge at 07.00am on a quite mild and dry morning traffic was a lot quieter than we all expected so arrived much quicker than we thought.

We had a little walk to the reserve as the coach couldn’t park up any closer to the reserve but wasn’t too far away, walked along the estuary front to start with and had great views of Turnstone* and a Mute Swan in the small harbour type area.

Walking along the front towards the main reserve entrance (from off the front that is) not too much to report although we did have a couple of Sandwich Tern fly over our heads just before the gate to enter the reserve.

On the reserve, itself I found it to be a very interesting place as they have different types of habitat and a few hides to give great views of the open water areas.

I did manage to get a couple of year ticks for Butterflies these being Peacock & Speckled wood also seen were Small White, Brimstone, Holly blue and Large Tortoiseshell.

Now on to the birds seen today these included year ticks of Common Tern, Sedge warbler, Common Sandpiper, Whitethroat, Mediterranean gull at least (10 if not more on the reserve), Dunlin, Eider duck, Sanderling, Garden Warbler & Reed bunting overall a great day out.

SPECIES SEEN TODAY –

Avocet, Black headed gull, Black tailed godwit, Blackbird, Blue tit, Buzzard, Canada goose, Carrion crow, Cetti’s warbler, Chiffchaff, Collared dove, Common sandpiper, Common snipe, Common tern, Coot, Curlew, Dunlin, Dunnock, Eider duck, Gadwall, Garden warbler, Goldfinch, Great black backed gull, Great tit, Herring gull, House sparrow, Jackdaw, Lapwing, Lesser black backed gull, Linnet, Little grebe, Long tailed tit, Magpie, Mallard, Meadow pipit, Mediterranean gull, Moorhen, Mute swan, Oystercatcher, Pheasant, Pied wagtail, Red kite, Robin, Rook, Sanderling, Sandwich tern, Sedge warbler, Shelduck, Shoveler, Skylark, Song thrush, Starling, Stock dove, Teal, Tufted duck, Turnstone, Whitethroat, Wood pigeon & Wren