Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Birdwatching Equipment > Binoculars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-03-09, 07:25 PM
Hatchling Member

Default Got My new Bins!!!!

I went to my local bought a new pair of binoculars (Hawke Endurance CF 10x42). I tried lots but these were the ones I fell in love with, oh and when I was testing them a Sparrow Hawk flew right in my field of view, so I took ths as a good sign!

Went out early this morning and had a whale of a time, off to Dungeness this weekend and really looking forward to it.

Anyway have decided to wait until I can afford a decent spotting scope and any advise anyone could give me would be greatly recieved.

Cheers

Danny
Old 01-04-09, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Default New Birding Binoculars

Hi Danny, Glad you found a good pair of binoculars and you are happy with them.

Perhaps you might be interested in setting a Birding Blog up to tell us about your birding experiences?
www.birding.uk.com
Old 01-04-09, 08:04 PM
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to clydebirder

Glad you got binoculars that you are happy with, I wish you many happy hours of bird watching with them

cheers, John
Old 06-04-09, 05:55 PM
Regular

Default Scope

I am no expert by any means, but I have a Nikon ED82 fieldscope with 25-75 zoom eyepiece and having tried, tested, researched, borrowed, purchased, and used others, it is the best by far. This is only my opinion though..............
Please do not be tempted by the cheaper end of the market, it leads to disappointment, decide on which one you want and be prepared to spend a large sum of money and like most things in life, you get what you pay for.
One more tip...don`t take the wife when you go to buy it, mine had a fit when the man asked for the money!
Old 05-07-09, 08:20 PM
Regular

Default Hawke Endurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoandeight View Post
I went to my local bought a new pair of binoculars (Hawke Endurance CF 10x42). I tried lots but these were the ones I fell in love with, oh and when I was testing them a Sparrow Hawk flew right in my field of view, so I took ths as a good sign!

Went out early this morning and had a whale of a time, off to Dungeness this weekend and really looking forward to it.

Anyway have decided to wait until I can afford a decent spotting scope and any advise anyone could give me would be greatly recieved.

Cheers

Danny
I have looked at these myself and think they are very good and bright,an would have some of these no probs.My question i if yu looked say at Liecas that are hundreds more would there b such a noticable difference pro rate the money,i don't think so,
Old 06-07-09, 11:33 AM
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to clydebirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.p911 View Post
I have looked at these myself and think they are very good and bright,an would have some of these no probs.My question i if yu looked say at Liecas that are hundreds more would there b such a noticable difference pro rate the money,i don't think so,
It's all down to personal choice (and budget) and if you find a pair of binoculars you like, go out and make the most of them and enjoy.

There is an element of wanting rather than needing the higher range optics (and I did want a pair of Leica's for a long time, I'm only human after all ) but a pair of Leica (or other similar types, Swarovski, Zeiss, etc) binoculars will last a lifetime of use and abuse and still be usable at the end, lower end binoculars would not fair as well (and I have been there and went through many pairs of binoculars using the logic that "Lieca's aren't worth all the extra money", mainly because I couldn't afford them at the time of course)

When birding in bright light you may not notice much difference but when the light levels go down that's when you see the quality of the optics realy coming in to play.

The main thing is to enjoy watching wildlife with the equipment you have, but don't kid yourself (believe me, I've been there) about the price, build quality and optics of higher end binoculars, you do get what you pay for. I am quite rough on my binoculars and since I got my Leica's 8 years ago I've never looked back, they put up with my abuse and still give the same sterling service.

Happy birding, whatever you use

cheers, John
Old 08-06-12, 12:21 PM
Regular

I have the Hawke Endurance CF 8x32 and find them to be brilliant bins that punch well above their weight for the price. I am tempted by the 8x42 model as they have upped the spec and they now have phase-corrected prisms too.

As far as a scope goes, I have the Nikon ED60 MkII with a 30x WA MC eyepiece. This scope would be well above my budget brand new, but I bought it 2ndhand from In-Focus and got a great deal. As far as cheaper scopes go though, you can get good ones as long as you avoid zoom lenses. Some of the cheaper Opticron, Hawke or Delta scopes are perfectly good with something like a 30x eyepiece. It's when you go for the 20-60x zooms that you get disappointed as the optics are poor at the top end of the zoom range.