Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Bird Books

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-10-09, 04:33 PM
Regular

Default Collins Bird Guide

A post on another part of the forum just got me thinking about bird books. My favourite book and the one I use all the time is the Collins Bird Guide. Its a superb book with great illustrations on the birds of Britain and Europe. But anyone thinking of purchasing this book might best be waiting till the end of November until the new 2nd edition (hardback) of the book is released. Or January for the paperback version. It will be worth the wait i'm sure. Collins Bird Guide: Amazon.co.uk: Lars Svensson, Killian Mullarney, Dan Zetterstrom, Peter J. Grant: Books
Old 24-10-09, 01:22 PM
Regular

I'm waiting for a new copy Jonny.......my old one is beginning to look a bit tattered with overuse! Books are still the best form of ID'ing birds in my opinion.

I've still got the original set of Ladybird books that inspired me published in 1968 and priced at 2'6d!

They include Birds of Prey,Heath and Woodlands,Sea and Estuary Birds and Pond and River Birds and bring back lovely memories of the days I used to dream of seeing such exotics (as they seemed to me in those days) as Red Grouse,Arctic Tern and Avocet!

I'll pass them onto my Grandson in a few years when he's old enough to understand and hope that he gets as much enjoyment out of them as I have!

My Photos
Old 24-10-09, 06:15 PM
Regular

You're showing your age Ruth. But I do remember the old Lady Bird books from when I was a kid. Think I'll probably order a new copy in January when the paperback comes out. Might let someone else buy it first to see if there is much if any difference.
Old 25-10-09, 09:43 AM
Regular

I've got the RSPB Guide to British Birds published by Hamlyn in 1970. My copy is the 11th impression from 1982, though. I've also got a the Observers Guide to British Birds and the Observers Guide to Birds Eggs but as they aren't here in my den I'll have to check the proper titles and published year. I think that they are from the early 70's.

Can't sleep, clowns will eat me.
Old 25-10-09, 11:23 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitcheruth View Post
I've still got the original set of Ladybird books that inspired me published in 1968 and priced at 2'6d!
I recently found one of the first bird books I owned a Ladybird book "Birds and how they live" on e-bay in mint condition so had to buy it as I don't have my original anymore, your post made me look at the published date on it and its 1966 good year for english football though.

My Website
Old 25-10-09, 03:10 PM
Regular

Those early Observer and Ladybird books have certainly stood the test of time.....probably better than we have!! lol!
Yes 1966 a great year Merlin.......fingers crossed 2010 will be the same!!

My Photos
Old 28-11-09, 11:39 AM
Regular

I had 'The Observers book of Birds' as a child at school. I seem to remember, they cost 5/- (.25p) in those days, Nowadays. I have the 'freebie' RSPB guide. Plus two Collins guides. One, being a very useful tiny pocket sized one. I also have a reprint of the original 'Fitter & Richardson' hardback guide.