Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Bird Books

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-12, 07:05 AM
Hatchling Member

Default Guide Books

Hi
Now retired and having gone back to my earlier in life hobby of birdwatching I wonder if someone out there can advise me on two good identification guides for waders and also wildfowl. Living close to Rutland Water here in Stamford I want to be able to have a couple of definitive guides on identifying the species that flock there in the winter. I have "Gulls of Europe, Asia and N. America" and would want something similar to that covering the species most frequently seen in the UK. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Clive
Old 07-09-12, 08:21 PM
Regular

There is only one WIldfowl book that I would really recommend, which:
Wildfowl: An identification guide to the ducks, geese, and swans of the world, by Madge and Burn (Helm). ISBN: 978-0713636475

For wildfowl it is definitely worth getting a guide that covers the world because of the high likelihood of encountering escapes from collections (domestic breeds aren't covered though).

For waders you have a choice, my suggestion would be one of the following:

Shorebirds: Identification guide to waders of the world, by Hayman, Marchant, and Prater (Helm). ISBN: 978-0713635096

Waders of Europe, Asia, and North Africa, by Message and Taylor (Helm). ISBN: 978-0713652901

Shorebirds of the Northern Hemisphere, by Chandler (Helm). ISBN: 978-1408107904

At the moment most of the best guides to bird families are being published by Helm!

Edit: The Collins Bird Guide (ISBN: 978-0002197281) has very good coverage (in less detail) of all wild birds that you are likely to see, and would always be my first reference - but it is often useful to be able to check more than one reference.

Last edited by RoyW__; 07-09-12 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-09-12, 12:03 AM
Hatchling Member

Hi Roy
Many thanks for your help and the list of titles, I'll start looking into those and see what suits mw best.

Clive
Old 23-01-13, 03:37 PM
Regular

I second the Shorebirds book by Chandler.
Old 27-02-13, 04:52 PM
Hatchling Member

Im looking to download a few ebooks on this topic and i will need some help and suggestions.
I found a few books online but i wanted to download and have them printed with print24 rather than buy them and have them delivered (i think its cheaper).

If anyone knows a website that i could find good ebooks please let me know.