Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Bird Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-07-09, 07:23 PM
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to clydebirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitcheruth View Post
I've just googled Rosy Pastor......and yes it's a Rose coloured Starling!
I'm not disputing the fact it is known as Rosy Pastor elswhere but it isn't what it's called in ornithological literature in the UK, one of my pet hates is messing around with names of birds.

The new so called standardized naming system has caused a lot of confusion and it must be a nightmare for beginners when hearing different names for the same birds. If all field guides adopted the system then okay but they use a mixture of new, old and local names which anly adds to any original confusion.

I know what Dovekie, Old Sqaw, Tystie, Bonxie, Eared Grebe, Horned Grebe, Lapland Longspur, Bank Swallow, etc are but don't use them as they are not what the birds are commonly known as (with the exception of Bonxie), we could all be clever and use names not in common use but I don't see the point, bird ID can be confusing enough without the added extra of obscure names.

That's me got that off my chest now

cheers, John
Old 16-07-09, 11:05 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sparrow View Post
Love all the posts and pics everyone!

Thanks for persevering in finding your Rosy Pastor Starling, honda! A great pic! It must have been a special moment to see it in your garden!

Now what's all this about a Golden Eagle? Come on please tell!
your welcome hey clde watcher im not disputing what the name of rosy pastor is i realy not that bothered i copied[name]
it from the books stated ,and its rosy pastor on the link i posted if you look,at the end of the day i saw it in my garden and you never nar ,nar ,na na nar ,pmsl just avin a laff mate,stay cool honda http://nagpurbirds.org/thumbnails.php?album=163 mmmmmmmmmmmm the goldie SHALL OR OR SHANT I ,il av to search for that aswell ,

Last edited by hondaman; 16-07-09 at 11:07 PM.
Old 17-07-09, 08:40 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebirder View Post

The new so called standardized naming system has caused a lot of confusion and it must be a nightmare for beginners when hearing different names for the same birds. If all field guides adopted the system then okay but they use a mixture of new, old and local names which anly adds to any original confusion.

I know what Dovekie, Old Sqaw, Tystie, Bonxie, Eared Grebe, Horned Grebe, Lapland Longspur, Bank Swallow, etc are but don't use them as they are not what the birds are commonly known as (with the exception of Bonxie), we could all be clever and use names not in common use but I don't see the point, bird ID can be confusing enough without the added extra of obscure names.
That's me got that off my chest now

cheers, John
I agree with you John re the differing/abbreviated names used by birders......ringtail was one that I had to ask about once! & there have been more that I can't remember off hand now.......as you say all very confusing and off putting at times for new birders!

My Photos
Old 17-07-09, 11:13 AM
Regular

Quote:
I agree with you John re the differing/abbreviated names used by birders......ringtail was one that I had to ask about once! & there have been more that I can't remember off hand now.......as you say all very confusing and off putting at times for new birders!
Some birders do have a habit of abbreviating names like Ringtail (female/juvenile harriers), Redhead (female immature Red-breasted Merganser, Goosander & Smew), Mipit (Meadow Pipit), Barwit/Blackwit (Bar-tailed/Black-tailed Godwit), Common Sand (Common Sandpiper), Grey Wag (Grey Wagtail), LRP (Little Ringed Plover) to name but a few, a favourite is LBJ's (Little brown jobs). Most you can work out but a bit pointless, its not much of a hassle to say the full name

cheers, John
Old 17-07-09, 11:18 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman View Post
your welcome hey clde watcher im not disputing what the name of rosy pastor is i realy not that bothered i copied[name]
it from the books stated ,and its rosy pastor on the link i posted if you look,at the end of the day i saw it in my garden and you never nar ,nar ,na na nar ,pmsl just avin a laff mate,stay cool honda Nagpur Birds.org - Rosy (Rose-coloured) Starling (Rosy Pastor) mmmmmmmmmmmm the goldie SHALL OR OR SHANT I ,il av to search for that aswell ,
No problem hondaman, I don't get upset that easily Certain things I find a bit irratible but don't take it too seriously, looking forward to this Golden Eagle photo, no stuffed or captive birds tho that's cheating

cheers, John
Old 17-07-09, 11:47 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebirder View Post
Some birders do have a habit of abbreviating names like Ringtail (female/juvenile harriers), Redhead (female immature Red-breasted Merganser, Goosander & Smew), Mipit (Meadow Pipit), Barwit/Blackwit (Bar-tailed/Black-tailed Godwit), Common Sand (Common Sandpiper), Grey Wag (Grey Wagtail), LRP (Little Ringed Plover) to name but a few, a favourite is LBJ's (Little brown jobs). Most you can work out but a bit pointless, its not much of a hassle to say the full name

cheers, John
Must admit to using a few of those John!
Plenty of LBJ's here too!! lol!

My Photos
Old 17-07-09, 02:48 PM
Regular

Quote:
Must admit to using a few of those John!
Plenty of LBJ's here too!! lol!
Shame on you, Ruth!

I reckon we all use abbreviations at some point! I remember looking in my field guide for a Bonxie and wondered why it wasn't in there!
Old 17-07-09, 03:30 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sparrow View Post
Shame on you, Ruth!

I reckon we all use abbreviations at some point! I remember looking in my field guide for a Bonxie and wondered why it wasn't in there!:D
lol.....good one!!

My birds of today have to be the 20+ House Sparrows that have entertained me all day.
The youngsters are so fluffy.....some almost white and are so curious.......great value for money!

My Photos
Old 17-07-09, 04:31 PM
Regular

Quote:
lol.....good one!!

My birds of today have to be the 20+ House Sparrows that have entertained me all day.
The youngsters are so fluffy.....some almost white and are so curious.......great value for money
!
How lovely, Ruth! I have had one male House Sparrow in the garden this week, well yesterday actually! I would love to see them back in numbers in my garden! A 3 bed terraced home has been waiting for them to nest in but no takers this year.
Old 17-07-09, 08:13 PM
Regular

ok am havin bother finding the eagle pic ,but i do have iy ,but heres anorther garden tick for me LOOK AT THAT oops missed the pi ok next post ityl be on

Last edited by hondaman; 17-07-09 at 08:16 PM.