Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Bird Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-17, 06:35 PM
Regular

Well what can I say my birds of the day are to lifers, the first a Grey Phalarope at my local patch Longham lakes ony the 2nd the 1st was in Sept 2009.
The other lifer was a Least Sandpiper at Lodmoor,but I missed out on the Stilt Sandpiper.
Old 13-09-17, 06:28 AM
Regular

Congratulations Martin! A pity with the Stilt Sandpiper but 2 out of 3 is brill!

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 13-09-17, 07:42 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody1 View Post
Well what can I say my birds of the day are to lifers, the first a Grey Phalarope at my local patch Longham lakes ony the 2nd the 1st was in Sept 2009.
The other lifer was a Least Sandpiper at Lodmoor,but I missed out on the Stilt Sandpiper.
That's a shame Martin, you'd think the stilt would be easier than the least!!

Well done on the other two.
Old 13-09-17, 05:21 PM
Regular

My first lifer in ages today, a Sabine's gull at Severn Beach after a long "sea" watch. It had been reported this morning but been missing for around 2 hours when I noticed it had crept back in amongst a small flock of BH gulls on the shoreline. Fantastic views of a beautiful juvenile bird.

Also 3+ Leach's petrels, 4+ Manx shearwaters, a gannet and a couple of 'commic' terns. Time well spent
Old 13-09-17, 09:39 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by astafjevs View Post
My first lifer in ages today, a Sabine's gull at Severn Beach after a long "sea" watch. It had been reported this morning but been missing for around 2 hours when I noticed it had crept back in amongst a small flock of BH gulls on the shoreline. Fantastic views of a beautiful juvenile bird.

Also 3+ Leach's petrels, 4+ Manx shearwaters, a gannet and a couple of 'commic' terns. Time well spent
Well done, never seen a Sabine's Gull only photo and it look like a very smart bird one I hope to see myself one day. Great set of birds seen as well.
Old 13-09-17, 09:45 PM
Regular

Quote:
That's a shame Martin, you'd think the stilt would be easier than the least!!

Well done on the other two.
Thanks, Stilt was still there was spooked by helicoptor when we arrived and was re-found on the other side of the reserve and by the time we got round it had gone back over to the other side again but it was time we had to go. though I did get my son is first Bearded Tit in the path through the reed bed.
Old 14-09-17, 08:13 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody1 View Post
Thanks, Stilt was still there was spooked by helicoptor when we arrived and was re-found on the other side of the reserve and by the time we got round it had gone back over to the other side again but it was time we had to go. though I did get my son is first Bearded Tit in the path through the reed bed.
How annoying. And at Lodmoor its a long way round too!

Still, a good day and I bet your son was chuffed with the beardie. Mine are a bit young yet so I didn't take them sea watching in case they blew away!
Old 15-09-17, 01:35 PM
Regular

Quote:

Congratulations with the Sabine's Gull Stuart, a good job you patiently persevered!
As Martin has said a great set of birds seen, chuffed for you!

My BOTD today is a Grey Wagtail (juvenile) that flew in to my garden after lunch! A rarity in my garden. I would imagine the waterfall next to the pond attracted it in.
I can remember seeing one in the garden many years ago, it was before I started my BTO Garden Bird Watch recordings. I have been recording the birds since 2003 so it was a good while since my last 'garden Grey Wagtail'. I did have a Pied Wagtail in Janauary 2013. It is good to have records to look back on!

Thankfully my camera was to hand and there was an SD card in the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
your-bird-day-week-p1050829.jpg   your-bird-day-week-p1050830.jpg  

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 15-09-17, 05:45 PM
Regular

That's a lovely garden bird, I've had them on our roof once or twice but never on the lawn
Old 16-09-17, 04:22 AM
Hatchling Member

A very late young dipper, 3rd brood.
Attached Thumbnails
your-bird-day-week-young-dipper-resize.jpg