Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Bird Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-01-11, 08:05 AM
Regular

Default Walk with the fam and a dog walker confrontation

Went out for an early morning walk on Sunday with the wife and new baby daughter around Marton Mere, Blackpool. Face to face with a male Sparrowhawk which was a fantastic sight in itself. One LEO which was pointed out by the 2 extremely helpful wardens (must find out their names as the younger of the 2 I see alot and always chat to) was showing extremely well, well the best I have seen anyway. Masses and I mean masses of Fieldfare and Redwings, a solitary Greenfinch and a possible fleeting glimpse of a Water Rail running across the path, definately smaller than a Moorhen.....

Beach up at Cleveleys, lots of Redshank and Oystercatcher and a very snapped Neil who nearly got into a ruck with a dog owner who's uncontrollably mutt decided he would jump up at me and my 8 week old daughter I had on a front carrier.... long story but to say he was lucky is an understatement!!! Oh and letting your dog **** on the beach does not just mean the sea will wash it away, kids play on that beach daily and people walk up and down it everyday!!! Honestly the amount of lazy dog owners a lately is unbelievable.
Old 31-01-11, 09:01 AM
Regular

There is a new law at least up here coming out or out now that even if a dog runs up to you off the lead and threatning the owner will be find. I have been attacked often by dogs off the lead and to be told it was my fault!! I should'nt have been there!! I was wearing camo gear and frightned the dog!! I was carry a camera and the dog did'nt like it?? I was even told that I would be sent the vet's bill because the dog got a fright. And dont get me started on Dog Mess, Even though your miles from anywhere you should pick it up, Snow is no excuse not to, then this decorating the the fences and bushes with multi-coloured plastic bags must be made a crime, 50 for throwing a fag end down, how much for a bag off dog crap??
Old 31-01-11, 09:14 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE THROWER View Post
There is a new law at least up here coming out or out now that even if a dog runs up to you off the lead and threatning the owner will be find. I have been attacked often by dogs off the lead and to be told it was my fault!! I should'nt have been there!! I was wearing camo gear and frightned the dog!! I was carry a camera and the dog did'nt like it?? I was even told that I would be sent the vet's bill because the dog got a fright. And dont get me started on Dog Mess, Even though your miles from anywhere you should pick it up, Snow is no excuse not to, then this decorating the the fences and bushes with multi-coloured plastic bags must be made a crime, 50 for throwing a fag end down, how much for a bag off dog crap??
All fully agreed with Mike, there is a growing trend in lazy/inappropriate dog owners of late. This dog mess issue has become out of hand, within the past year I can honestly say that I am unable to walk around anywhere within my local area without constantly having to stare at the ground where I walk!!!! Pick it up or dont have a damn dog!!!
Old 31-01-11, 09:43 AM
Regular

You've hit a raw nerve here Neil and Mike.....I too am sick and tired of being jumped on by dogs whose owners just say "oh sorry he's only being friendly"!!!!.......no apologies for the mess your coat/trousers are left in!!

The dog muck issue is disgusting,why do folk pick it up and then sling the bag onto a branch......those that do pick up are few and far between here it makes me so mad!!!

Cyclists who who don't hear coming and then nearly mow you down are another hazard.....why don't they announce their arrival by ringing bells!!!!

My Photos
Old 31-01-11, 09:56 AM
Regular

Am going to be posting a huge post on my wildlife watching blog at somepoint this week and possibly point my local council at it. Also see if I can get some support from other local and not so local people.......... regarding the dog mess.
Old 31-01-11, 10:04 AM
Regular

Make it a national campaign, I'd support it after my experience yesterday

I don't mind the dogs, its the owners I don't like.
Old 31-01-11, 10:41 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by astafjevs View Post
I don't mind the dogs, its the owners I don't like.
EXACTLY!! Same for Horses.

and Mike, it's 400 down here so be careful next time you venture south.
Old 31-01-11, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Default Dog Owner

I have a Border Terrier who has a few advantages on the nuisance dogs you've encountered...
  • He waits patiently when I stop for bird watching
  • He can be enthusiastic when greeting, but never aggressive
  • If he did rear up to greet he's only up to your thigh
  • He's well trained and will respond to the whistle and call
  • His poops aren't that big and pocket size for easy disposal!
I'm fairly new to dogs and can understand the sentiment, but a lot of these issues are down to the owners not training them properly and not bothering to clear up afterwards.
Having a dog means you do get out a lot round your local patch which is an advantage.
www.birding.uk.com
Old 31-01-11, 12:42 PM
Regular

Neil,

I love dogs and when I was growing up we got through two whole labradors but not clearing up their mess is just lazy and antisocial. Allowing them to poo in the best spot for looking at the little owl's house is downright rude, as well

Personally, I don't mind if a dog does jump up in a friendly way but I can see why others would if they don't like dogs!

Your's sounds like a nice one!
Old 31-01-11, 01:00 PM
Regular

Thumbs down Bone Idle

Hi all,
Being someone who as had and bred german shepherds for 40 years i get very upset when i see owners letting their dogs foul and then just turning a blind eye, Not wanting to make any excusses the dog is only doing its natural funtions as we humans do; it doesn't know any better but its bone idle lazy owners do.

Moving on to dogs being off the lead and running up to people this again is wrong, I have bred working dogs that would tear you apart if ordered but being a responcible dog owner even when i have taken these out they have been kept on a lead and mussled; the one I have now would lick you to death she doesn't know what being nasty means but when ever i take her anywhere she is on a lead and i don't even allow her near my grandchilldren or them near her.

Its only while running after her ball she is off and if i see someone coming towards me she is made to sit and stay and the lead is clipped on, its only after asking the person if they are alright with her being off the lead she is then let off.

My girl as been with us for years on holiday and as walked past hundreds of people including children in busy streets and she is never a problem because she is trained to be that way, there should be more people who like the ones who watch out for those that drop litter walking around and if they see bone idle lazy good for nothing dog owners letting their dogs foul and not cleaning it up they should be issued with a 500 pound fine and even then if they are on the dole an ammount should be stopped out of their money and payed direct to the courts.

Sorry for going on so much but when i read something like this thread it gets my blood boiling and i can't stop myself from having a good moan.
regards
(M)ick