Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Bird Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-16, 02:27 PM
Regular

Default A long weekend in North Norfolk.

A long overdue visit to North Norfolk was enjoyed last weekend (2nd-5th Dec). Highlights were 30 + Marsh Harriers coming in to roost at RSPB Titchwell Marsh also at Titchwell were Velvet Scoter, Common Scoter, Long-tailed Ducks, Eiders, G C Grebes, Red-breasted Mergansers, Great Northern Diver, Golden Eye, Water Rail, Kingfisher, Wigeon, Redshank etc.
On arrival at Cley Marshes a Bittern was sighted being mobbed by 2 Marsh Harriers! My first Bittern for a long while! Seals were also spotted swimming close to the shore on Cley beach.
Skeins of Geese were seen early morning and at dusk, a great sight and of course sound!
A few pics taken on the trip. The sunset images were taken at Holkham.
Attached Thumbnails
long-weekend-north-norfolk-p1130996.jpg   long-weekend-north-norfolk-p1130882.jpg   long-weekend-north-norfolk-p1130880.jpg   long-weekend-north-norfolk-p1140016.jpg   long-weekend-north-norfolk-p1140018.jpg  

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 06-12-16, 08:12 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sparrow View Post
A long overdue visit to North Norfolk was enjoyed last weekend (2nd-5th Dec). Highlights were 30 + Marsh Harriers coming in to roost at RSPB Titchwell Marsh also at Titchwell were Velvet Scoter, Common Scoter, Long-tailed Ducks, Eiders, G C Grebes, Red-breasted Mergansers, Great Northern Diver, Golden Eye, Water Rail, Kingfisher, Wigeon, Redshank etc.
On arrival at Cley Marshes a Bittern was sighted being mobbed by 2 Marsh Harriers! My first Bittern for a long while! Seals were also spotted swimming close to the shore on Cley beach.
Skeins of Geese were seen early morning and at dusk, a great sight and of course sound!
A few pics taken on the trip. The sunset images were taken at Holkham.
A wonderful set of pictures, sounds like you had a wonderful trip, I have never been to Norfolk sound like there are some great birds to see there,those Marsh Harriers must have been spectacular.
Old 09-12-16, 04:48 PM
Regular

We love going every year, we saw 98 species this time, including a very obliging kingfisher, and some brent geese which were a lifer for us.
Attached Thumbnails
long-weekend-north-norfolk-kingfisher-cropped.jpg  
Old 10-12-16, 03:45 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody1 View Post
A wonderful set of pictures, sounds like you had a wonderful trip, I have never been to Norfolk sound like there are some great birds to see there,those Marsh Harriers must have been spectacular.
Thanks Martin. It was a wonderful trip and the Marsh Harriers were the undoubted highlight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
We love going every year, we saw 98 species this time, including a very obliging kingfisher, and some brent geese which were a lifer for us.
Always great to see Brent Geese especially en-masse! 98 species is a good number!

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 10-12-16, 06:24 PM
Regular

I love it up there, very envious. I'd like to retire there but Erindoors might have other ideas.
Old 10-12-16, 07:28 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sparrow View Post
Thanks Martin. It was a wonderful trip and the Marsh Harriers were the undoubted highlight!

Always great to see Brent Geese especially en-masse! 98 species is a good number!
I am so sorry I meant to say Bean geese 5 of them, as you said there was hundreds of Brent.