Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Bird Chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-16, 02:27 PM
Little Sparrow's Avatar
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central England
Posts: 9,881
Blog Entries: 6
Default A long weekend in North Norfolk.

A long overdue visit to North Norfolk was enjoyed last weekend (2nd-5th Dec). Highlights were 30 + Marsh Harriers coming in to roost at RSPB Titchwell Marsh also at Titchwell were Velvet Scoter, Common Scoter, Long-tailed Ducks, Eiders, G C Grebes, Red-breasted Mergansers, Great Northern Diver, Golden Eye, Water Rail, Kingfisher, Wigeon, Redshank etc.
On arrival at Cley Marshes a Bittern was sighted being mobbed by 2 Marsh Harriers! My first Bittern for a long while! Seals were also spotted swimming close to the shore on Cley beach.
Skeins of Geese were seen early morning and at dusk, a great sight and of course sound!
A few pics taken on the trip. The sunset images were taken at Holkham.
Attached Thumbnails
long-weekend-north-norfolk-p1130996.jpg   long-weekend-north-norfolk-p1130882.jpg   long-weekend-north-norfolk-p1130880.jpg   long-weekend-north-norfolk-p1140016.jpg   long-weekend-north-norfolk-p1140018.jpg  

__________________
Judith.




Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-12-16, 08:12 PM
Woody1's Avatar
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dorset
Posts: 1,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sparrow View Post
A long overdue visit to North Norfolk was enjoyed last weekend (2nd-5th Dec). Highlights were 30 + Marsh Harriers coming in to roost at RSPB Titchwell Marsh also at Titchwell were Velvet Scoter, Common Scoter, Long-tailed Ducks, Eiders, G C Grebes, Red-breasted Mergansers, Great Northern Diver, Golden Eye, Water Rail, Kingfisher, Wigeon, Redshank etc.
On arrival at Cley Marshes a Bittern was sighted being mobbed by 2 Marsh Harriers! My first Bittern for a long while! Seals were also spotted swimming close to the shore on Cley beach.
Skeins of Geese were seen early morning and at dusk, a great sight and of course sound!
A few pics taken on the trip. The sunset images were taken at Holkham.
A wonderful set of pictures, sounds like you had a wonderful trip, I have never been to Norfolk sound like there are some great birds to see there,those Marsh Harriers must have been spectacular.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-12-16, 04:48 PM
alan21's Avatar
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 119
Default

We love going every year, we saw 98 species this time, including a very obliging kingfisher, and some brent geese which were a lifer for us.
Attached Thumbnails
long-weekend-north-norfolk-kingfisher-cropped.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-16, 03:45 PM
Little Sparrow's Avatar
Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central England
Posts: 9,881
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody1 View Post
A wonderful set of pictures, sounds like you had a wonderful trip, I have never been to Norfolk sound like there are some great birds to see there,those Marsh Harriers must have been spectacular.
Thanks Martin. It was a wonderful trip and the Marsh Harriers were the undoubted highlight!


Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
We love going every year, we saw 98 species this time, including a very obliging kingfisher, and some brent geese which were a lifer for us.
Always great to see Brent Geese especially en-masse! 98 species is a good number!
__________________
Judith.




Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-16, 06:24 PM
PeterB's Avatar
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 7,614
Default

I love it up there, very envious. I'd like to retire there but Erindoors might have other ideas.
__________________
www.fotr.org.uk
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-16, 07:28 PM
alan21's Avatar
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 119
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sparrow View Post
Thanks Martin. It was a wonderful trip and the Marsh Harriers were the undoubted highlight!




Always great to see Brent Geese especially en-masse! 98 species is a good number!
I am so sorry I meant to say Bean geese 5 of them, as you said there was hundreds of Brent.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:53 AM.