Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Bird Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-18, 05:31 PM
Hatchling Member

Default Newfoundland as a Destination for UK Birders

Hi Everyone!

I just finished guiding a group of birders from the UK and it's somewhat at their suggestion that I'm posting this. Newfoundland seems like something of an unknown quantity for UK birders. It would seem people travel to the Neotropics and other parts of North American, but do not consider Newfoundland as a birding destination.

I'd invite you visit my website and my blog for a look at what birding in Newfoundland has to offer. Newfoundland is just a 5 hour non stop flight from many parts of the UK and our weak Canadian dollar relative to the British pound and Euro make trips somewhat more affordable.

Newfoundland offers some of the best sea birding anywhere, with literally millions of alcids on display and the worlds most accessible Gannet rookery at Cape St.Marys. In terms of songbirds Newfoundland has a lot to offer as well. It would be quite easy to see 15 species of wood warblers on a single trip in the right area as well a good selection of sparrow, finches etc. When you combine that with the fantastic sea birding, it seems that Newfoundland should be more on the radar as a birding destination for UK birders.

Aside from birds, early summer presents the opportunity to see whales and other marine mammals as well as icebergs, so if you have an interest in photography it's a bit of a dream come true. I'll post some links you can explore further. If you would like any other information contact me here or via my website.

http://www.birdingnewfoundland.com

Birding Newfoundland with Dave Brown: Newfoundland: The Avalon Peninsula in June