Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Bird Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-09, 11:16 PM
Regular

As a non-driver in the credit crunch, I was thinking of a day out, not a weekend etc. No probs getting out of my pit when it's still dark to travel to where ever is agreed upon, as long as it's served by public transport.

I've long been contemplating making a trip to South Stack Island or Bempton Cliffs, but I'm happy to go with the majority vote.

Cheers,

Alan

Alan
Old 02-06-09, 08:53 AM
Regular

Sounds like an interesting idea.
The Leeds area isn't very far from here, so could be an easy trip for me, work and other commitments allowing.

Dave
Old 03-06-09, 07:26 AM
Regular

Default Martin mere southport or blackpool.......!

These are quite central.............!Fairburn ings is better though...!

Last edited by bassist; 03-06-09 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-06-09, 10:24 AM
Regular

Thumbs up Great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebirder View Post
I don't know how other people feel about organized outings, just to test the water could anyone that would be interested in meeting up for outings let me know.

I sometimes travel to various parts of the country and thought it would be nice to meet other forum members and maybe help out with bird ID. Even if it's only once or twice a year

cheers, John
That's a great idea John and i would be very interested to meet some of the forum members and share some experiences with them.I have recently been on a Warbler wlak with a local group of birders in our local country park and it was very good as evryone that turned up were very nice and we all shared a common interest.They are going to organise more but i would be willing to turn up at anything you organised.
Well done keep up the good work
Old 03-06-09, 10:25 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjns View Post
As a non-driver in the credit crunch, I was thinking of a day out, not a weekend etc. No probs getting out of my pit when it's still dark to travel to where ever is agreed upon, as long as it's served by public transport.

I've long been contemplating making a trip to South Stack Island or Bempton Cliffs, but I'm happy to go with the majority vote.

Cheers,

Alan
Im sure someone would pick you up as i would if you so desired.
Old 03-06-09, 10:32 AM
Regular

Default Time for a change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churcho View Post
Please forgive me Amanda, I have nothing against Leeds or Yorkshire I promise you, but if we are to have an organised trip with the objective of meeting each other and birdwatching, there can only be one place to head for - North Norfolk. Apologies to John also because that would mean a round trip for him of some 800 or so miles! The jewel in the birdwatching crown is the North Norfolk coast, Titchwell Resrve, Cley Marshes and everywhere between. I have spent numerous hours, days, weekends and weeks there, I truly believe it is the place to head for. With the local amenities geared for the birdwatcher all bases and needs are covered, accommodation is plentiful, and the people are a delight. In case you hadn`t noticed I am slightly biased, Norfolk is the place I was born and raised and although I left 25 years ago, for most of my birding trips, I head back there. Now a long weekend in Norfolk, meeting like minded people, birdwatching, good food, is there anything better?
Then maybe its time you tried somewhere else as this fairburn ings sounds like a great place and also it is fairly central so it accomodates everybody not just the few
Old 03-06-09, 04:34 PM
Regular

I think you may have misunderstood my reasons for suggesting Norfolk Paul, it is not for my benefit(the few) as I can go there at the drop of a hat anytime, I suggested it because if people are making a trip with the intention of seeing birds then it is more rewarding to go to a place that almost guarantees a wide selection of species than to a place where you are likely to encounter fewer species. As for it being central (Fair Ings), it is hardly central to the UK, when I studied geography Yorkshire was not in the Midlands, and it is nearer my home than Norfolk is, so I was not suggesting Norfolk because it is easier for me, I can do Leeds in less than an hour, Norfolk is an hour and three quarters. For any birdwatcher a visit to Norfolk is almost a pilgrimage to undertake at some point in their lives, and for that reason, along with those previously listed, is why I suggested it. Not for my benefit, which is what you implied, and I would have thought that if you are new to this hobby, which by reading your previous posts I imagine you are (I may be wrong), then a trip to Norfolk would broaden your birdwatching horizons immensely, you would certainly gain more from it that a trip to Fair Ings.
Old 03-06-09, 06:21 PM
Regular

Default Happy with fairburn ings...!

It is central,looks like a top place to see birds.......!come on everyone we have to decide.... to me..it seems the right location,john knows the place....!what more can we ask for....!!

Last edited by bassist; 03-06-09 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-06-09, 06:33 PM
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to clydebirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churcho View Post
I think you may have misunderstood my reasons for suggesting Norfolk Paul, it is not for my benefit(the few) as I can go there at the drop of a hat anytime, I suggested it because if people are making a trip with the intention of seeing birds then it is more rewarding to go to a place that almost guarantees a wide selection of species than to a place where you are likely to encounter fewer species. As for it being central (Fair Ings), it is hardly central to the UK, when I studied geography Yorkshire was not in the Midlands, and it is nearer my home than Norfolk is, so I was not suggesting Norfolk because it is easier for me, I can do Leeds in less than an hour, Norfolk is an hour and three quarters. For any birdwatcher a visit to Norfolk is almost a pilgrimage to undertake at some point in their lives, and for that reason, along with those previously listed, is why I suggested it. Not for my benefit, which is what you implied, and I would have thought that if you are new to this hobby, which by reading your previous posts I imagine you are (I may be wrong), then a trip to Norfolk would broaden your birdwatching horizons immensely, you would certainly gain more from it that a trip to Fair Ings.
Hi Churcho,

we're getting off track here, I really do understand where your coming from but not all birders have to make a "pilgrimage" to Norfolk, I know several good birders who have never been to Norfolk (and some have no intention of going) in their lives, they make their "pilgrimage" to Fair Isle, Isle May, Holy Island etc (for myself for many years it was the Spurn Bird Observatory in Yorkshire during September weekend holiday). We all have our own idea of what makes a good day out and sitting in a car all day is not my idea of fun, the Midlands may be central in England but when you include all of mainland UK, Fairburn Ings is certainly more central in that light than Norfolk, so no geography lesson is needed here.

If your intention is to see as many birds as possible in the shortest possible time then a trip to Norfolk would be as good as anywhere but that's not the point here (not for me anyway) , a relaxing days birding in good company and some good birds on show.

When I suggested an outing, Fairburn Ings was mentioned but I never said we would definately meet there; although in September it's as good a place as any under the right condition's, if you don't gain anything from that then it's time to take up a new hobby. It's better being totaly familiar with the commoner birds before venturing into the realms of the unknown and a few months later remembering nothing but a list of names.

If we are going to have an outing then I would suggest we keep it within the bounds of no further south than Lancashire - Yorkshire so unless a majority desire it then Norfolk would be out of the equation.

I will make up a list of location's and see if we can agree on one of them and move on from there, no more bickering PLEASE!

For those relying on public transport I'm sure pick up points could be arranged at suitable locations

Cheers, John
Old 03-06-09, 06:53 PM
Regular

It is central,looks like a top place to see birds.......!come on everyone we have to decide.... to me..it seems the right location,john knows the place....!what more can we ask for....!Any where........will do as long as we all agree...!to quote alan....!the majority vote.....!

Last edited by bassist; 03-06-09 at 06:59 PM.