Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Bird Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-05-09, 09:24 PM
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to clydebirder
Default Birding UK outings?

I don't know how other people feel about organized outings, just to test the water could anyone that would be interested in meeting up for outings let me know.

I sometimes travel to various parts of the country and thought it would be nice to meet other forum members and maybe help out with bird ID. Even if it's only once or twice a year

cheers, John
Old 27-05-09, 09:36 PM
Regular

Hi John, how are you fixed for Saturday! only joking I live a bit far away,but I am hoping someone will join the forum that lives near me,so on odd times we could go out together,there must be some other "Birders" in the Leeds area!
Old 27-05-09, 09:44 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
Hi John, how are you fixed for Saturday! only joking I live a bit far away,but I am hoping someone will join the forum that lives near me,so on odd times we could go out together,there must be some other "Birders" in the Leeds area!

Hi Amanda, sorry can't make Saturday :-). I visit Fairburn Ings once or twice a year (don't know if you've been before, it's a great reserve), my brother stays in Stevenage and I often stop off at Fairburn on the way there.
Maybe a possibility in September (great time for passage waders)

cheers, John
Old 27-05-09, 10:12 PM
Regular

Thanks john,it would be nice to meet up!we will have to see!Not been to Fairburn it's somewere i would like to visit one day.

Last edited by amanda; 27-05-09 at 10:14 PM.
Old 27-05-09, 11:09 PM
Regular

Hi John,

Great idea, count me in.

Hopefully we can get a good group together & have a really enjoyable day out.

Cheers,

Alan

Alan
Old 28-05-09, 08:39 AM
Regular

Default Meeting up

Anyone travelling by or to Nottingham and prepared to run the risk of being shot, give me a shout. Got some great "patches" in and around Nottingham, these areas tend not to be cordoned off by the police very often!
Old 28-05-09, 04:47 PM
Regular

Default Great idea...!

If i can get a friend 2 babysit my 4 ferrets ,i will travel a bit as well....!
Old 01-06-09, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Neil Rigby
Smile Bird Outing

I love this idea! Seems like a natural development of the bird forum to organise a Birding UK and Ireland trip.

I suppose we would have to agree a location, a preferred date and take it from there.

Fairburn Ings sounds interesting and I guess reasonably central.

Here's some information about Fairburn Ings.

Fairburn Ings lyes in the Lower Aire Valley, south-east of the Leeds district, Fairburn Ings consists of extensive areas of marsh, wet pasture and open water attracting large numbers birds, especially wintering wildfowl. The largest of Leeds' nature reserves, Fairburn Ings is managed for Leeds City Council by the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds). The site has long been recognised as nationally important for wildfowl and includes an extensive area designated as a site of special scientific interest (SSSI). It was declared a Local Nature Reserve (LNR) in 1957.

During the winter, Fairburn Ings provides an important refuge for whooper swans from Iceland, shoveler ducks from eastern Europe and a range of other species such as pochard, coot and golden plover. The reserve is also important for both wintering and breeding gadwall. Other notable breeding species include the reed warbler, which breeds within the reserve's reed beds, and the common tern and little ringed plover, which prefer to breed on shingle or stony ground.

The history of Fairburn Ings is closely linked to coal mining, with the site having become partially flooded due to mining subsidence. The subsequent restoration has provided a wealth of habitats for both wildlife and people to enjoy.
www.birding.uk.com
Old 01-06-09, 02:14 PM
Regular

Default Visit to the Mecca of the birdworld?

Please forgive me Amanda, I have nothing against Leeds or Yorkshire I promise you, but if we are to have an organised trip with the objective of meeting each other and birdwatching, there can only be one place to head for - North Norfolk. Apologies to John also because that would mean a round trip for him of some 800 or so miles! The jewel in the birdwatching crown is the North Norfolk coast, Titchwell Resrve, Cley Marshes and everywhere between. I have spent numerous hours, days, weekends and weeks there, I truly believe it is the place to head for. With the local amenities geared for the birdwatcher all bases and needs are covered, accommodation is plentiful, and the people are a delight. In case you hadn`t noticed I am slightly biased, Norfolk is the place I was born and raised and although I left 25 years ago, for most of my birding trips, I head back there. Now a long weekend in Norfolk, meeting like minded people, birdwatching, good food, is there anything better?
Old 01-06-09, 10:05 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churcho View Post
Please forgive me Amanda, I have nothing against Leeds or Yorkshire I promise you, but if we are to have an organised trip with the objective of meeting each other and birdwatching, there can only be one place to head for - North Norfolk. Apologies to John also because that would mean a round trip for him of some 800 or so miles! The jewel in the birdwatching crown is the North Norfolk coast, Titchwell Resrve, Cley Marshes and everywhere between. I have spent numerous hours, days, weekends and weeks there, I truly believe it is the place to head for. With the local amenities geared for the birdwatcher all bases and needs are covered, accommodation is plentiful, and the people are a delight. In case you hadn`t noticed I am slightly biased, Norfolk is the place I was born and raised and although I left 25 years ago, for most of my birding trips, I head back there. Now a long weekend in Norfolk, meeting like minded people, birdwatching, good food, is there anything better?

Hi Churcho

I wouldn't quite call North Norfolk the Jewel in the birdwatching crown but it is a great place for birding. I have been to the reserves you mention many times and have never been dissapointed, but then I have done the same at Arne, Poole, Brownsea Island in Dorset, Leighton Moss and Morecombe Bay in Lancashire, Farne Islands in Northumberland, Handa Island in NW Scotland to name but a very few.
Spurn Point in Yorkshire is also an amazing place during migration, I've stayed at the bird Observatory there many times.

The real object is to meet people and have a good day out, and to be practical it would have to be somewhere more central than North Norfolk Coast. There aren't really any locations on the mainland UK that are that far from required amenities, I certainly don't need to be pampered when out birding. I wasn't particularly thinking of making a long weekend out of it but am open to suggestions

Let me know what you all think, John