Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Bird Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-11-15, 05:28 PM
Hatchling Member

Unhappy Birding Lens for 300/400

I am finding it hard to find a lens for birding around this price range? Has anyone got any ideas?
Old 22-11-15, 07:28 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlfeet View Post
I am finding it hard to find a lens for birding around this price range? Has anyone got any ideas?
I have a Nikon DSLR and can only afford 70-300mm lens. It's ok so long as the birds are close, and I've come to the conclusion that bird photography requires at least a 500mm, and even than a x1.5 or x2 converter is desirable. I doubt you'll be able to get even a used lens of decent quality for 200-300, but perhaps you'll get lucky with a Tamron or Sigma lens suitable for your particular camera.

Good results can be had with a decent bridge camera, but they do have their limitations.

Tony
Old 22-11-15, 07:56 PM
Hatchling Member

Thanks for the advice, I currently own a Sigma 70-300mm but I just find its too soft at 300mm and the auto-focus is terrible. Guess it will have to do until I have the funds for atleast a 500mm
Old 05-12-15, 05:12 PM
Regular

I've just bought a Sigma 150-600mm. A bit more than your price range but it may be worth saving for. Mine is from a UK dealer but grey imports are a bit cheaper. I'll post some pics once I can get out and use it.
Old 05-12-15, 10:36 PM
Regular

I look forward to seeing your results and reading your feedback on this lens Ian. I know that Tamron have a similar product and I've heard nothing but good things about it (though their product line is a little confusing).

Tony
Old 06-12-15, 11:16 AM
Regular

I studied plenty of reviews on both. From what I could glean from them image quality seems to be very much the same but the autofocus on the Sigma is better (quicker and less prone to hunting than the Tammy). Read several comments by people who had owned both lenses and that was the general conclusion. Obviously image quality isn't as good as a prime lens costing a heck of a lot more.