Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Birdwatching Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-12, 01:29 PM
Regular

Default Monopod/scope set up

Has anyone got much experience of using a scope with a monopd instead of a tripod to save some weight to lump around.
Old 12-09-12, 02:36 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to aquila 1

Hi Pete, I use a mono pod as doe's Helen, we find them more flexible, than carting a tripod around, even use it on my camera with the long lens, I know the perfectionist's will say only a tripod will do, but each to their own. regards mac
Old 12-09-12, 03:14 PM
Regular

Thanks for the feedback on that Mac,we have an overpriced rucksack type carrier for the larger 'scope which Chris uses most of the time but of course you cannot carry your rucksack as well.If we are close to the car I have fitted a strap to another tripod so that is not so bad.I was thinking of fitting a lightweight monopod to an old Mirador 'scope for when we are wandering away from he car such as the edge of the moor on round somewhere like Fairburn or Saltholme and one of us can still take a 'sac for flask and sarnies.It will be interesting to hear others view on this,I may try it out at Saltholme on Friday.
Old 12-09-12, 04:32 PM
Regular

I use both, depends what I am doing. If I am out for mainly a walk or long distance I take the mono pod and take the tripod if I am going short distances for bird watching.

The (obvious) drawback to a monopod is you always need to hold it and that gets tiresome after a while.

Last edited by PeterB; 12-09-12 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-09-12, 08:59 PM
Regular

I can understand the drawbacks to using a monopod such as not being able to pass a bird over to others and not as solid as a tripod,but when we carry 2 tripods around between us plus all the other gear it can ruin a days birding for me.The plan now is to carry one tripod and scope in the podtrek and use the other with a light monopod, here's hoping it works out o.k.
Mac,did you get a small Viking set up for Helen recently,I seem to remember it on the forum.If so did she like the scope ?

Last edited by dales birder; 12-09-12 at 10:07 PM.
Old 13-09-12, 10:09 PM
Hatchling Member

I use mainly a monopod, but can be hard in the wind when sea watching
Old 14-09-12, 08:37 PM
Regular

Had a bit of a try out today at RSPB Saltholme,put an Opticron MM II on a Culman shoulder pod/mini tripod which Chris used as a mini pod on the hide shelves and I fitted an old Mirador Merlin scope with a monopod for myself.In most situations it worked fine and neither of us had the problem of lugging a tripod around all day.I reckon this combination in one form or another will be used in future when we are walking far from the car,why had we not tried it before ? too stuck in traditional ways I suppose.

Last edited by dales birder; 15-09-12 at 08:46 AM.
Old 15-09-12, 12:17 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to aquila 1

why had we not tried it before ? too stuck in traditional way's thing.

It's an age thing Pete, welcome to the late nineties. mac
Old 15-09-12, 04:18 PM
Regular

Yeah,maybe we are now less into suffering and look for a reasonable easier solution.
This not using full tripods idea has been in my mind for yonks but never did anything about it,just carried on moaning about the amount of gear we lumped around and the monopod and mini tripod have been in the gear cupboard for years.It certainly made our day out even more enjoyable but what the heck am I going to moan about next (half decent suggestions welcome !!)
Old 27-09-12, 09:47 PM
Regular

Had a new move on this idea today,having bought a new Hawke scope at our local show on Monday and today while out with the group at our local reserve when we had a walk to the far side of the reserve I took it off the tripod and fitted it on the monopod easier to carry and when in a crowded hide it required a lot less room and the scope was better than expected as well (don't think that was due to the monopod though)