Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Birdwatching Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-10-12, 10:04 PM
Hatchling Member

Question Tripod

Hi can anyone recommend a stable tripod for mounting my Kowa 85mm which weighs 1.7kg please. To date I have an steel Vivitar which is stable but heavy. I then got a Silk which is light weight, but to flimsy. So before I spend out more cash, any input please.
Regards Bob
Old 14-10-12, 11:01 PM
Regular

I have a Gitzo carbon fibre tripod which is incredibly light but very very stable, stiff and rigid. The legs lock solid. Only trouble is they are outrageously expensive but now I have one I can say it is actually worth the cost. I brought a cheap carbon fibre monopod off ebay to use while walking and even though it has rough edges it's just as good.
Old 14-10-12, 11:01 PM
Regular

Oh, and welcome to the forum Bobden.
Old 15-10-12, 12:06 PM
Hatchling Member

Smile Tripod

Thanks for that Peter have looked at Gitzo, your right they are expensive. Am looking for a second hand one.
Regards Bob
Old 15-10-12, 04:52 PM
Regular

I got mine second hand from e-bay, about half new cost. Well worth it.
Old 16-10-12, 10:59 AM
Regular

Considering that the engineering on tripods is fairly basic it makes you wonder where the manufacturers get the prices from.Even carbon fibre,though it is a great material,is pretty old hat nowadays yet a "cheap"tripod costs 150 or more and a cheap usable aluminium one retails at 80 plus,is it because we are only a limited market ?
Old 16-10-12, 02:21 PM
Regular

It is a simple machine but you can tell the difference when you compare a good tripod to a mediocre or bad one (notice I didn't say expensive vs cheap).

The property my Gitzo has which I have never found in other tripods (and I have Veblon and Manfrotto) is that the legs lock positively with out having to sprain your wrist on the lock rings, a finger tip tighten locks the legs solid. It also goes from lock to free with about half a turn and this makes it as easy to use as a toggle clamp type lock but with the advantage of a ring.

There is absolutely no play in any part of the thing, it stands solidly without wobbling.

I just wish someone would invent one which cannot trap your fingers at the top of the legs when you open it out. I have several blisters and torn shirts as evidence.
Old 16-10-12, 07:08 PM
Regular

Quite agree that there are great differences between models Peter,hate to think how many I have mistreated over the many years birding.Several spent hours slung on a shoulder strap while I was riding my motor bike and still worked at the end of it !!but I am sure there must be a great mark up on them,having spent many years in engineering I find it hard to warrant the price on some models.
Old 16-10-12, 09:14 PM
Regular

Sure, volume will have a lot to do with and I am sure Gitzo have to give the pros stuff to keep their "pro" status.
Old 17-10-12, 08:25 AM
Regular

Bobden,sorry if we wandered away from your question,not sure that we were very helpful