Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Birdwatching Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-11-12, 11:13 AM
Regular

Default How big ?

We had an interesting discussion in a hide the other day about what we thought was the best magnification of bins for general birding and wondered who used what.8x did seem the most popular but a couple had 10x and one had 7x saying it was the most restful for her eyes so what do forum users prefer ?
Old 16-11-12, 12:07 PM
Regular

We tried some 10x bins but found that the Field Of View was too restricted and they could be difficult to hold steady. They certainly were not as good for us when woodland birding as the 8x.

For a while, we kept them for hide work, but then we preferred the 8x as much for the extra FOV as anything else.

I'm now trying a pair of 7x36 for woodland birding and as a compact pair (my 8x bins are porros). I like them and look forward to using them alongside the 8x over the next season.

Dave...
Old 16-11-12, 12:20 PM
Regular

I have 8's but wish I had 10's. When I get some 10's I will probably wish I had the 8's.

I am sure that no matter what you have you wish you had more, but for me 8's are the maximum I can hand hold without wobble.
Old 16-11-12, 02:22 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to aquila 1

All my birding life I have only ever used 10x50 the pair I use now is the old type but with Carl zeiez lenses, which are some of the best optics, and not your plastic glass that is now used in a lot of optics, including scopes and cameras. regards mac
Old 16-11-12, 04:07 PM
Regular

8 x 32 for me.

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 16-11-12, 06:13 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila 1 View Post
All my birding life I have only ever used 10x50 the pair I use now is the old type but with Carl zeiez lenses, which are some of the best optics, and not your plastic glass that is now used in a lot of optics, including scopes and cameras. regards mac
Maybe "old" type porro prism design, but this format allows better quality optics for a given cost as they are easier to make. I'm a convert to porros and just love the 3D view that my Opticron HRWP and smaller Opticron SRGA 8x32 can give. .....Long live porros!

Dave
Old 16-11-12, 08:41 PM
Regular

Having been in this birding game for over 50 years I have bought and borrowed quite a few pairs of binoculars from 12x down to 7x mainly porro prism with a couple of roof prisms along the way.The big pair of 12x50 Optolyth Alpin were bought over 30 years ago when doing a lot of birding in hill country and not having,or wanting, a 'scope and I thought the extra magnification would be useful.It was but F.O.V. was limited and it was a bit like looking through toilet roll tubes.Having said that the optics were very good and they are still used in the right siuation but it needs to be in a hide to prop my elbows on something.The 7x35 are roof prism and almost 20 years old,Russian made copies of the old style Zeiss Notarem and they are still in regular use when we go round the local patch as they hang up near the door so get picked up as we leave.These do feel the most comfortable but my brain tells me I need more power.Usual bins are 8x42 porro which just fit into the hands right and let enough light in on most occasions.My OH prefers 10x and can hold them steadier than me so that is where the 10x times bins ended up.I suppose at the end of the day it is all about what you are comfortable with not what the name says.
Old 17-11-12, 04:30 PM
Regular

10x42 when I'm mainly using hides, but I keep a pair of 8x42 in the car for more "casual" occasions, eg when I'm walking the dog, and for use in woodland. The FoV of the 10s is too limited for sustained use there, and I find the 8s better for just scanning the trees to see what might be about. Sometimes, once I've located my bird (eg Treecreeper and Goldcrest on the same part of the tree yesterday), I wish I had the extra magnification of the 10s, then I remember that I probably wouldn't have found the birds if I'd brought them...

I want bionic eyes.

Tony