Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Birdwatching Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-13, 10:37 AM
Regular

Default Helios binoculars

After I get back on my feet and active birding again I am thinking of replacing my 20 year old Russian made 7x35 roof prism bins with something a little more modern.I like these bins but the image is quite dull (coating has improved a lot in their lifetime) but on the plus side they fit my hands just right and are the right weight which will be important.Looking among the budget pages Hawke Nature Trek 8x42 and Helios Ultrasport 8x42 fit the bill and funds,has any member out there in forum land any experience of these ? the Helios looks good to me and reviews seem o.k.My current "best" bins are 10 x 50 and will be too heavy and bulky and I want to avoid smaller objective lens than 42.

Last edited by dales birder; 08-03-13 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-03-13, 10:22 PM
Regular

I have no direct experience of either of these, but wonder would you consider buying second-hand?

I ask because I bought a set of Vortex Diamondback 8x42 off Ebay as a "glovebox" binocular, for about 90 (RRP double that). Now, maybe I was just lucky, but these are frankly awesome (IMHO), as good or better than my Nikon Monarchs, and are my preferred option these days. If it worked for me it could for you.

Just a thought.

Tony
Old 09-03-13, 09:46 AM
Regular

It did cross my mind Tony but I am a bit of a dinosaur when buying off the net,the Vortex as new would be within budget so your views on that are interesting.My main problem when I get back mobile is going to be bulk and weight,hence the move from my 10x porro that are the "best" bins at the mo.