Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Birdwatching Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-13, 10:55 AM
Regular

Default Helios ultrasport 8x32

I bought these for myself as a pressie when I came out of hospital as I knew that my old 12x50 "best" bins would be a weight/stability problem and my lighter 7x35 were over 20 years old and great as they are optics have advanced a lot in that time.
The Ultrasport got good reviews from the magazine reviews I searched back through and were well within my pensioners budget (violins play softly at this point),they have not disappointed me.
They fit my hands very well and feel balanced and the open bridge makes gripping the bins a doddle. Optically they seem far better than I expected at this price and the "sweet spot" is so wide I get almost full advantage of the 7.6 deg field of view.The eyepieces have 4 settings in their up/down settings and as a spectacles wearer I found that one stop up from the bottom suited my funny eyesight and unlike some I have tried they stay in position when used in the field. The focusing wheel turns smoothly and depth of field is good and so you are not always having to refocus when scanning.The dioptre setting wheel is built into the central focus wheel and is easy to use.There is a little colour fringing when looking towards a bright light but generally you have to look for it.For a non ED glass binocular these perform very well and would be suitable for many birders looking for decent optics at the lower end of the price range.For me so far the only real disappointment is the strap,although it is well made in neoprene it does seem a little narrow even for a binocular weighing in at only 650 gramme.All in all,well worth a serious look but I am surprised the warranty is only 12 months although buying them through Scope n Skies there was 24 month warranty plus a free field guide which does actually fit in my pocket all for 129,I'm a happy bunny so far.

EDIT heading should read 8x42 not 32

Last edited by dales birder; 18-04-13 at 10:52 PM.