Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Birdwatching Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-09-13, 06:40 PM
Regular

Default First Scope

As anyone used this scope http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-Ul...tron+telescope thinking of getting one for observing the waders out in Holes Bay and places like Arne. This would be my first scope.
Old 30-09-13, 07:40 PM
Regular

I had a look through one of these earlier in the year at an optics event on a local reserve,while it will never match the performance of the big name products I thought it was fine for the money and would make a good first scope.Do remember you need a steady support to use it on such as a tripod,a half decent one will be 50 plus so remember to budget for this as well.
Old 30-09-13, 08:55 PM
Regular

I use a Celestron scope, though mine's the Regal ED80 model.

Insofar as this qualifies me to comment, I'd just say that Celestron have a bit of a reputation problem; when they're good they're very very good; when they're bad they're - erm - awful. I'm happy to say I have only experienced the former with my scope, but if someone who's tried the scope you're thinking of buying says it's ok, then I guess it can't fall into the "awful" category.

Sorry not to be more upbeat - I know your first scope is exciting - but I personally like the Celestron products I've tried; their Granite bins are very nice, and the newly updated Regal scopes look interesting.

I hope you enjoy your new scope as much as I enjoy mine, it certainly brings a new dimension to birding.

Tony

PS - Ebay's good for used tripods, but DON'T buy one of those photographic ones with a winding handle to adjust the height, and DO try to get one with an easily removable centre post so you can also use a hide clamp.

Last edited by Tony F; 01-10-13 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 08:24 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales birder View Post
I had a look through one of these earlier in the year at an optics event on a local reserve,while it will never match the performance of the big name products I thought it was fine for the money and would make a good first scope.Do remember you need a steady support to use it on such as a tripod,a half decent one will be 50 plus so remember to budget for this as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
I use a Celestron scope, though mine's the Regal ED80 model.

Insofar as this qualifies me to comment, I'd just say that Celestron have a bit of a reputation problem; when they're good they're very very good; when they're bad they're - erm - awful. I'm happy to say I have only experienced the former with my scope, but if someone who's tried the scope you're thinking of buying says it's ok, then I guess it can't fall into the "awful" category.

Sorry not to be more upbeat - I know your first scope is exciting - but I personally like the Celestron products I've tried; their Granite bins are very nice, and the newly updated Regal scopes look interesting.

I hope you enjoy your new scope as much as I enjoy mine, it certainly brings a new dimension to birding.

Tony

PS - Ebay's good for used scopes, but DON'T buy one of those photographic ones with a winding handle to adjust the height, and DO try to get one with an easily removable centre post so you can also use a hide clamp.
Many thanks for the replies and advise, today I had a Opticron product guide come through the post some very nice gear in there but a bit out of my price range with having to buy separate eye piece .

So think the Celestron might have to be the one to purchase.
Old 01-10-13, 08:30 PM
Regular

Good for you.

I've just noticed - in my PS where I mention used scopes, I of course meant to type "used tripods".

Getting old is no fun...

Tny
Old 04-10-13, 06:03 PM
Regular

Being mindful of the almost inevitable future upgrade, I would suggest a used "quality" scope rather than a new budget scope. Given a reasonable example, it could perform better than the new one and still be worth most or even all of what you paid for it when the time comes to sell it.

Dave
Old 05-10-13, 09:27 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
Being mindful of the almost inevitable future upgrade, I would suggest a used "quality" scope rather than a new budget scope. Given a reasonable example, it could perform better than the new one and still be worth most or even all of what you paid for it when the time comes to sell it.

Dave
This is some think I have thought of recently, though would not know what to look for in a second han scope to know if it was good, bad or just ok.
Old 05-10-13, 10:07 AM
Regular

Have you an 'In Focus' or an optics shop at a local Reserve that you could visit to get some advice from?

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 05-10-13, 05:47 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sparrow View Post
Have you an 'In Focus' or an optics shop at a local Reserve that you could visit to get some advice from?
Their is a In Focus event at Blashford Lakes on Tuesday 8th, but unfortunately I am unable to attend the event due to work and the reserve is just a little bit to far to get over in my half hour dinner break.
Old 05-10-13, 07:48 PM
Regular

That is a pity Woody!

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright