Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Birdwatching Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 29-10-13, 12:45 AM
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Default equipment insurance?

So, I've just shelled out rather a lot of cash for some binoculars. Does anyone know if one can get specialist insurance for this sort of thing?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 29-10-13, 07:11 AM
PeterB's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 7,614

Might be covered on your home insurance, worth a check.

I did once look at getting dedicated insurance for my photo gear but it was a lot of hassle and was really designed for professionals.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 29-10-13, 07:42 AM
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 680

I agree with Peter. The most economical way of insuring binoculars. telescopes, and cameras is usually to add them to your home insurance (if not already covered).
Most home insurance policies will cover items of up to 1000 for 'all risks', including accidental damage, and they will usually be covered if you are abroad as well (useful because most travel insurance won't cover expensive items). You may need to specify some items on the policy (especially if the value is over 1000 - or whatever limit your provider has set), and you may need to pay an additional premium. Check with your insurance provider though, and also be prepared to look at what other household insurance providers will cover.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 29-10-13, 10:33 PM
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13

That's helpful; thanks a lot chaps. I think a specifically named item on the home insurance is the way to go.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:29 PM.