Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > BTO > BTO Garden BirdWatch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-09, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Neil Rigby
Exclamation About the BTO Garden BirdWatch

BTO Garden BirdWatch is a year-round project that gathers important information on how different species of birds use gardens and how this use changes over time. Gardens are an important habitat for many wild birds, providing a useful refuge for those affected by changes in the management of our countryside.

Some 16,000 participants currently take part in Garden BirdWatch and send in simple weekly records of the bird species using their gardens. This information is either submitted on paper count forms or by using Garden BirdWatch Online. Each participant also supports the project financially through an annual contribution of 15. In return, they receive the quarterly colour magazine Bird Table, count forms and access to advice on feeding and attracting garden birds.

All new joiners will receive a free copy of either the BTO/CJ Garden BirdWatch Book or Gardening for BirdWatchers.

To find out more about Garden BirdWatch visit BTO Garden BirdWatch
www.birding.uk.com
Old 16-06-09, 01:32 AM
Regular

Neil; I've just found that post again. Only, this time I'm not so rushed for time.

May I ....?

Ok; The above sounds like what it probably is. A 'public statement' from the BTO GBW team. Something put together and reviewed to hell. Picked over to make sure it says all the right things. Presses all the right buttons. 'Appeals' to the widest audience.

Here's what it's Really like. From the sharp end:

Ye join up, slinging them a paltry few quid towards the wages of the small staff of complete ~ and highly qualified ~ Fanatics they employ, just to keep abreast of what's pouring in from 'You'. Ye ten, fifteen quid a year, what ever it is, pays the BTO to pay the Top Brains to sort out stuff 'Mrs Jones, Acacia Ave, Middlesex' faithfully reports. They then collate and extrapolate and present this stuff to 10, Downing St !

This is where Broadaheet Newspapers and such gain such reports like " Birds In Decline ~ Better Get Our Bums In Gear! " from. You and I, people ~ via the BTO. We can make history here!

For your part? Ye'll likely start by just noticing what's in ye garden. Maybe even wondering what it is? Then, prompted by what 'GBW' will tell ye, ye'll start looking that bit closer. Ye'll learn about what to feed those birds ..... Open wide. Because Hook, Line and Sinker will be fast to follow!

I promise ye; Before ye know where ye are, You Will become completely addicted! To, probably, one of The most worth while, rewarding and just down right Enjoyable Ways of Life which no one's yet been arrested for.

Wake up. Get up. Kettle on. Even as it boils, ye'll be counting the birds on those recently put up Feeders. Mentally noting which feeders, filled with which feeds, are getting what. Jotting it all down will become more important that that first sip.

From Bread Chucker to pager addicted Twitcher; We all love our cuppa. And that's all it takes to make a Huge difference, for the Birds. Just sign up to the BTO's Garden Bird Watch. Please!

Then, maybe, we can Really get talking about things here?
Old 17-06-09, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Neil Rigby
Smile BTO Garden Birdwatch

Love it Steve! Wondered where you going with your post, but I totally agree.

These survey tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people and if it gets more people to look and wildlife and get involved, then that's great.

My father-in-law participates regularly and enjoys it, the stats do give a talking point.
www.birding.uk.com
Old 09-07-09, 07:16 PM
Regular

I am now in to my 7th year of doing the BTO Garden Birdwatch, it becomes second nature after a while, a bit like doing the vacuuming or washing! I really enjoy taking part, and exciting if something out of the ordinary pops in to your garden!
Old 30-09-10, 09:34 PM
Regular

I was wondering where he was going at first too Neil.
Sadly, no garden so can't take part. Unless an adapted rooftop counts
Old 10-07-13, 05:51 PM
Regular

Just wondering what people do (who are doing the BTO garden birdwatch) when no birds turn up in the garden during there watching times in the week.
So far this week I have not seen any birds in the garden during my timed watch in the morning before going to work. I see them in the evening though and hear them like the blackbird singing now from the roof
Have only seen a Robin and a Blue tit this evening in the garden I suppose when the autumn returns the bird will come back looking for food, though I do have a feeder and water out for them all the time.
Old 10-07-13, 06:46 PM
Regular

Woody, do your count of bird species any time of day or night (if light enough) during the week of the count! I do not stick to certain times of the day or any particular length of time. Each day is normally different with birds feeding and flying through my garden!

It is a more relaxed form of counting garden species than the one hour of 'Garden Birdwatch' in January of each year.

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 10-07-13, 08:47 PM
Regular

Ok I thought I had to be consistent with my timing of my count, so ok to record the birds I see in the evenings if I do not see them in the morning? I usually watch for half to three quarts of an hour in the week and an hour sat/sun.
Old 11-07-13, 01:27 PM
Regular

Woody, you record the bird species seen at any time of the day during the week you are counting birds! If you have 2 Blue Tits in the morning then 3 later in the day then you record 3 Blue Tits for that week unless you see more than 3 Blue Tits in your garden during the same week.

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 12-07-13, 01:42 PM
Regular

Thanks Little sparrow, that what I will from now on then which is good as today in the morning I did not see any thing, but this afternoon I have had a Woodpigeon and a young Robin in the garden.