Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Garden Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-08-11, 11:32 AM
Default Bits and pieces.

HI All, Not been here for a while, very busy with other things!! Just a few pics to share with You. One shows a new visitor to My garden. A Chiff Chaff, no less. Thought it was one of My resident Willow Warblers until I spotted it's almost black legs and confirmed the ID in My trusty reference book!!! Next is 2 pictures of a nest that I found in an overgrown bit of garden that I decided to clear. I'm pretty sure it's an LTT nest, it's quite deep inside, (but could be a Robin??) Other pic is a delightful Swan family spotted at Druridge Bay Country Park just south of Amble on the NE coast.(Well worth a visit if You're in the area, a lot of birds on that lake) There were 2 families of 7 cygnets. Surprisingly it wasn't "Dad" on the left that challenged My presence there but the young one closest to me, gave me a good " hissing at".
Attached Thumbnails
bits-pieces-010-2-.jpg.JPG   bits-pieces-010.jpg   bits-pieces-011.jpg   bits-pieces-021.jpg  
Old 13-08-11, 12:59 PM

Welcome back Charles. No idea what that nest is.
Old 13-08-11, 08:43 PM

Good to see you posting again Charles.

I believe LTT's nests are hidden more in brambles/shrubs, though not saying it isn't one you found.

The Long-tailed Tit's nest is an elastic ball of moss, spiders' webs, lichen, feathers, and hair that is built by both birds in a bush, hedge or tree; brambles and gorse are favourite places. The nest may take up to 3 weeks to build and be lined with more than 2000 feathers.

Nice one with the Chiffchaff in your garden and great to see the Swan families!

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 14-08-11, 12:29 AM
Default Mystery Nest.

The nest was completely hidden from view with all sorts of undergrowth. Only found it when I cleared the area. I have found a photo of an LTT nest in a "Nature Detective" book and it's nothing like this one, no moss and lots of lichen stuck together with spiders webs. Not sure it's a Robin's either. I remember finding a Robin's nest years ago and that had no "top" on it, but it was in a rusty old kettle.
Old 12-11-15, 09:53 PM

Found this by accident ..... but if anyone is still remotely interested after all this time ..... it's a wren's nest. If it had no lining then it was what's referred to as a 'cock's nest'. The male wren builds several nests to this stage (at least 3) and then 'herself' picks one, and they line it with feathers and hairs. The unused ones are abandoned.