Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Garden Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-17, 03:04 PM
Regular

Default Plenty going on!

Plenty of action in the garden this last week starting with a Corvidfest - 9 Jackdaws, 7 Carrion Crow (without Luke) and 6 Magpies all in the garden together! The Magpies were making a heck of a noise. Had 6 Blackbirds in the garden at the same time also.

We have 2 House Martin nests under the eaves both containing young and making their presence heard. The adults are bringing food back to them regularly. I'm keeping an eye out for them fledging.

Had up to 5 Greenfinches visiting the feeders at once, muscling out the Goldfinches which haven't been quite so numerous this year.

Had occasional visits by 2 Willow Warblers (I'm 90% certain they were WW and not Chiffchaffs), and today I was surprised to see a Redpoll on the sunflower hearts.

Finally, I spotted a frog on the lawn which hopped into the garden pond - my first sighting of a frog in the garden since I made the pond (though we did have newts last year). Hopefully it might come back to breed early next year.
Old 05-08-17, 08:41 PM
Regular

You must have quite a garden to fit that lot in...

As usual, the main action in our garden is provided by hordes of Starlings and mobs of House Sparrows - not that I'm complaining, but I literally can't keep the fat ball feeders filled fast enough, and even the sunflower heart feeder (mixed with crushed peanuts and dried mealworms) is emptied within a couple of days. It's getting expensive...

Tony
Old 07-08-17, 07:55 PM
Regular

Good to read of your numerous garden visitors Ian! How lovely with the Willow Warblers and a Redpoll!!

Starlings and House Sparrows are a rarity in my garden the last few years Stuart! Send some 'up' my way please.

I have had a grand total of 6 Carrion Crows this last week and surprisingly quiet otherwise. I have noticed that the fat balls are being enjoyed even more than they are in Winter...strange that?

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright