Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Birdwatching Equipment > Binoculars > Hawke Binoculars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-12-09, 07:39 PM
Hatchling Member

Default Frontier ED 8x43

Hello Everyone.

having considered three makes of bins in my quest to spend money i haven't got ( RSPB HD's, Hawke Frontier ED's and the Viking ED's) i finally took the plunge and got a pair of Hawke Frontier ED 8x43's. What made me decide on the hawke's were several factors.

Firstly was the comfort in use. As a spec wearer i felt they gave the best eye relief, closely followed by the Vikings. I liked the weight and balance of the Vikings, but although heavier, the Hawke's again felt better - weight wise they are similar to the Bushnell nature views i had previously been using for the last 15 years. The RSPB HD's were also good but slightly below the others.

The field of view is outstanding in the Hawke's even when wearing specs. The colour casting, if that's the right terminology, to me, is on the warmer side which i prefer, the Vikings slightly cooler along with the RSPB's. Im no expert on the finer points of optical performance but at the edge of the image there is some loss of quality, although i cannot notice this in normal use.

The price of the Hawke's finally swayed the choice. There is quite a price difference between the Hawkes' and the other two choice's, several hundred pounds in fact, and as they were similar in all areas, this swayed my choice. I ordered them from A R Hawkins in Northampton and received excellent service and prompt delivery and they were postage free.

I'm very pleased with my new bins, and highly recommend them to others if they want a pair of high quality, value for money binoculars.
Old 30-09-11, 06:52 PM
Regular

I've just recently bought a pair of these. Bloomin' excellent bins and not at all expensive. It says 2m close focus but they focus a bit nearer than that.

Can't sleep, clowns will eat me.
Old 06-10-11, 02:04 PM
Regular

I am also thinking of buying these but am unsure if there is enough eye relief as I wear specs and do not want to keep taking them off because by the time I've done that the bird has flown!!!! Do you have any help for me on this please?

Thanks Sue
Old 08-06-12, 12:06 PM
Regular

I bought the Frontier ED 8x36 recently but was disappointed in them on size, weight and light transmission issues and have reverted to my Hawke Endurance CF 8x32 bins which, to all intents and purposes, are just as good. The EDs are now on Ebay and I am looking for a pair of 8x42s that won't stretch the budget. Any recommendations?
Old 08-06-12, 12:37 PM
Regular

Have a look at the Minox range. Excellent bins and after sales service is second to none and nothing is too much trouble for them. Start looking at Sherwoods as they are usually the best on price, They might be more than you really want to pay but if you went for the HG 8x43 BR you will be wowed by them. They are almost alpha quality at less than half the price. At the end of the day you get what you pay for and there's a lot to be said for German manufactured optics and their quality control particularly on the optic glass compared with Chinese ones. The HG's are made in Germany hence the MIG tag that you might come across.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old 08-06-12, 03:52 PM
Regular

Thanks for the advice Sue, I will certainly have a look on Sherwoods. We have an In-Focus nearby at Martin Mere wildfowl trust and the opportunity to try a wide range of binoculars and scopes looking at birds from hide conditions. Much better than ordering blind online. However those HG you mentioned sound interesting.

I don't actually think there's much wrong with these Frontier ED 8x36, but I just got a bee in my bonnet for 8x42 bins now and got more money than sense!
Old 08-06-12, 04:59 PM
Regular

In Focus alas do not do Minox. Still they do Opticron which are OKish though I haven't yet tried a pair a really like. They all seem 'misty' to me somehow. If you're going up a little price wise why don't you part ex the Hawke with In Focus. I have bought several optics on-line and haven't been disappointed.....yet. But you have to do lots of research and get lots of opinions. I find that I just get totally confused at an optics trade stand and end up just not buying. However that's me and we are all different. It's also worth looking around for 2nd hand. There's some good deals out there. I recently bought a Minox scope from a member on another forum and it is brilliant. It cost me less than a third of a new one and it is pristine.
Old 08-06-12, 05:11 PM
Regular

My brother-in-law has just bought a pair of Pentax DCF ED 8x32 bins from Jacobs, at a big discount, and I must say they are fantastic bins and much better than my Frontiers but at 3 times the price you might expect that.

I will see what In-Focus offer on my Frontiers but will wait for Ebay to finish first as potentially I will get more.
Old 10-06-12, 06:24 PM
Regular

Sue - the Hawke seem to me to have a decent eye relief but I don't wear my specs all the time. I guess you would need to try them for yourself. They are very good bins and I'm still impressed with them.

Can't sleep, clowns will eat me.