Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Just for Fun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-15, 07:15 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
What a great, if not surreal picture! Do you have some sort of abstract mode on your camera?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
I'd "got" the Goldfinch from the original picture but couldn't figure out what was going on. I thought there might be some coincidental butterfly action (or something ). The second picture is a cracker, and makes clear there's some photographic jiggery-pokery going on. It's a lovely fluid sort of picture; brilliant!!

Thanks for posting them Dora.

Tony
If any experienced photographers reading this post could throw light on how these pics were captured, I'd be interested. I think the second pic was the last of a burst, shot in Aperture Priority. The ISO was set at 1600, probably inadvertently.
Old 02-03-15, 03:58 PM
Regular

Curious. Have you thought about putting onto a photography forum and finding out what might have happened?
Old 03-03-15, 04:11 PM
Regular

I think I know what has happened. See the picture below taken from a light aircraft cockpit, see how the propellor is making lines. The sensor in the camera actually takes a scan of the pixels, not all at once but will work in lines, probably from top to bottom. All happens very quickly but a line by line scan never the less. So when you have very high ISO's as you did and the scan is times with the beating of it's wings some of the same thing is represented twice. Does that make sense?

Old 03-03-15, 09:15 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
I think I know what has happened. See the picture below taken from a light aircraft cockpit, see how the propellor is making lines. The sensor in the camera actually takes a scan of the pixels, not all at once but will work in lines, probably from top to bottom. All happens very quickly but a line by line scan never the less. So when you have very high ISO's as you did and the scan is times with the beating of it's wings some of the same thing is represented twice. Does that make sense?

Thank you, Peter, for taking the trouble to explain. It does make sense (I think!). If my understanding is right, the wings were beating faster than the line by line scan of the pixels and therefore were represented twice in the image.

I did upload the pic to some Panasonic groups on Flickr but there have been no explanations posted!