Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Forum Talk > New Features and Improvements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-12, 10:40 AM
Regular

I must admit to using FB more regulary as Im getting a bit fed up with some of the comments,silly arguments & back biting of late here.

My Photos

Last edited by Twitcheruth; 10-06-12 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-06-12, 11:19 AM
Regular

Thanks Ruth, for a moment i thought i was being over sesitive! I know who you are on facebook now
Old 10-06-12, 01:51 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
Thanks Ruth, for a moment i thought i was being over sesitive! I know who you are on facebook now
It's difficult.......& maybe I am too... but it seems of late that everytime I comment or enter a discussion it seems to dissolve into a war of words.

My Photos
Old 10-06-12, 02:08 PM
Regular

I am also an active member of BirdForum and recently downloaded their iPhone App. I have to say it's nowhere near as good as just accessing the standard site via your smartphone.

As for Facebook, I mainly post in a closed group for melanoma sufferers and find that it is brilliant. Facebook, like anything, can be used for good or ill. I personally, for what it's worth, would rather stick to this forum.

From what I have seen of this forum so far, I'm hoping it's friendlier than BirdForum, where I have frequently taken the time to make posts (450+) and upload photos to threads, and then been totally ignored by the "regulars" who just self-promote!
Old 10-06-12, 02:32 PM
Regular

With all such forums, you make what you do of it. There is no point seriously arguing with anyone about anything, you won't win. If someone says something that upsets you, ignore and carry on regardless. Any other course of action will lead to further upset and ultimately someone storming off in a huff, it's not worth it, it's just an internet forum for heavens sake.

There is something called Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's an observation which is very true. Although the analogy is not always the same the outcome always is.

Oh, and if anyone takes the Nazi thing literally and wants to have a go at me for that, try, and see what happens.
Old 10-06-12, 03:25 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
I have re read the responses and wanted to be clear, i am not suggesting an alternative to the forum at all. Im suggesting the possibility of creating an app for those who chose to use their phones as an additional tool when out and about.
I very much appreciate the fact that there are very commited forum users and as i said, there are many ways to communicate nowadays, whether its facebook, email, forum or twitter and nobody should be criticised for choosing whichever one suits them.
I think an app would be most useful for those who may have ID questions where they could take a photo while out in the field so to speak and upload it immidiately to ask questions from more experienced forum users. The idea would be that it could all work together not against each other.
I hope this is a more clear explaination of my original idea and apologise if anyone took offense.
In addition, i dont think it fair that comments have been made about my lack of input on the forum. I havnt been using it for as long as some and i do interact with the facebook birding page more, thats my choice.
I would have thought it best to try and ID a species yourself first when at home or wherever using Field Guides etc rather than directly posting to an app and hoping someone will do the work for you. Sorry, I am not trying to be pedantic it is just my opinion as you have your opinion. As for your lack of input well that is your choice of course but it would be great if more new members and long standing members, as you are, contributed more to the forum. There is only so much the 'stalwarts' of a forum can add to keep a forum interesting.

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 10-06-12, 05:53 PM
Regular

Smile

Thanks peter for making me chuckle and swifty for actually understanding what i was trying to suggest. Finally, forget about facebook it was an app i was talking about but somehow facebook seems to have dominated this thread,.........hey ho!
Old 22-06-12, 07:35 PM
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to munchycarrot

Fergie & Twitcheruth.... I think I have just added you both on FB

I am not a member of the group on there so couldn't comment. I have been a member for a while & like you, i can access Facebook (app) & my own forum (using tapatalk) more easily than I can use my computer as much as I'd like to, so I don't get on the forum as much.

I don't want to get into an argument of why use a phone vs computer etc, it suits me & that's how I use my phone and the internet, hence buying an iPhone that has the capabilities.
Old 24-06-12, 09:59 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchycarrot View Post
Fergie & Twitcheruth.... I think I have just added you both on FB
I am not a member of the group on there so couldn't comment. I have been a member for a while & like you, i can access Facebook (app) & my own forum (using tapatalk) more easily than I can use my computer as much as I'd like to, so I don't get on the forum as much.

I don't want to get into an argument of why use a phone vs computer etc, it suits me & that's how I use my phone and the internet, hence buying an iPhone that has the capabilities.
Yes you did Steph....as you know now! lol

My Photos
Old 24-06-12, 08:12 PM
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to munchycarrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitcheruth View Post
Yes you did Steph....as you know now! lol
I can get on there easier from my phone