Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Forum Talk > New Features and Improvements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-12, 12:40 PM
Regular

Default Birding uk app?

I am one of the least techy people around, however, i have been using an ipad for 12 months now and an iphone so im familiar with apps. It occurred to me while writing on my last thread about facebook, that if an app was developed for this site, it could make uploading photos from phones etc easier, like fb.
I wouldnt know how this could be done but birdguides have one so there must be someone out there on the forum that may know these things.
Old 08-06-12, 09:57 PM
Regular

A lot of you were against my facebook suggestion but it seems that it has taken off in a massive way since i first posted. Lets see if we can do the same with an app!

Last edited by Fergie; 10-06-12 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-06-12, 12:12 AM
Regular

Yes, I find it frustrating but the forum is a much better place for discussion and interaction. I don't know what the answer is.
Old 09-06-12, 07:32 AM
Regular

I genuinely don't care, so that's why I'm not saying anything!

I do find it odd that there's an alternate version of birding uk elsewhere on the internet though, but if people can't or won't come across to the forum that's up to them. It's not as if there's anything really linking this site to the facebook one, other than the name.
Old 09-06-12, 08:49 AM
Regular

I'm not interested. I never use and have no intention to use facebook, and I am quite happy to use my mobile as a telephone primarily - that's not to say I don't use it's other features as and when it suits me.
Old 09-06-12, 02:00 PM
Regular

I am not interested either! What is wrong with the forum? It is a great place to share all about our wildlife and anything else that is interesting!

A pity you do not post more on this forum Fergie.

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 09-06-12, 03:13 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sparrow View Post
I am not interested either! What is wrong with the forum? It is a great place to share all about our wildlife and anything else that is interesting!

A pity you do not post more on this forum Fergie.
Seems more like self interest than birding/wildlife interest to me
Old 09-06-12, 05:10 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijwilki View Post
Seems more like self interest than birding/wildlife interest to me
I find that a bit harsh!

this was posted in the "new features and improvements" section, surely if no one suggests NEW things how can we IMPROVE??
In this day and age, there are many ways of interacting using different formats. i'm disappointed at some comments made here, this is supposed to be a friendly forum.
Maybe Facebook is a less intimidating way to communicate.
Old 09-06-12, 06:47 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
I find that a bit harsh!
But you don't participate in this forum, merely dip in to promote your own external ideas.

Is Facebook less intimidating? Wouldn't know, I don't use it. Sorry if you find my comments intimidating. I find this is a friendly site; obviously there are occasional disagreements and spats but that is life.

Last edited by ijwilki; 09-06-12 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-06-12, 09:46 AM
Regular

I have re read the responses and wanted to be clear, i am not suggesting an alternative to the forum at all. Im suggesting the possibility of creating an app for those who chose to use their phones as an additional tool when out and about.
I very much appreciate the fact that there are very commited forum users and as i said, there are many ways to communicate nowadays, whether its facebook, email, forum or twitter and nobody should be criticised for choosing whichever one suits them.
I think an app would be most useful for those who may have ID questions where they could take a photo while out in the field so to speak and upload it immidiately to ask questions from more experienced forum users. The idea would be that it could all work together not against each other.
I hope this is a more clear explaination of my original idea and apologise if anyone took offense.
In addition, i dont think it fair that comments have been made about my lack of input on the forum. I havnt been using it for as long as some and i do interact with the facebook birding page more, thats my choice.