Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Forum Talk > New Features and Improvements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-01-13, 01:01 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to aquila 1
Default Keeping a thread to the top

Hi I have just had a reply from Neil the administrator, I have asked if there is any way a thread can be made sticky, so it does not keep getting lost, with the newshound reports, as I feel a lot of threads could do with staying longer without having to find them, as I also feel it puts a lot of new commers off posting, and I for one would like to see more new posters.
He has told me he will look into it, cheers Neil. best regards mac
Old 30-01-13, 02:18 PM
Regular

While we have Neils attention, what about the newshound reports, I never read them as I get anything I want direct from the local user groups.

Does any one read them????
Old 30-01-13, 03:12 PM
Banned

Glad you said that Peter, but you are right, I have to be careful as I dont own site,but I do think it puts a lot of members off. That was the reason I asked if threads could be made sticky, regards mac
Old 30-01-13, 03:32 PM
Regular

What criteria would you apply for stickiness?

You could approach the forum in another way. Each section tells you whether its got new posts since your last visit because the icon changes from a nest (brown) to a little chick (yellow).

That way, you never have to click New Posts and you don't see the Newshound posts unless you go looking for them down the bottom of the forum.

I don't know if that helps or not?

By the way, I don't imagine anyone reads the Newshound posts. Time to put him to sleep, Neil!!
Old 30-01-13, 07:02 PM
Banned

I thought any thread which warrents a few replies or if it is a quiz type, as I told Neil i am putting a quiz togeather, but as it is a long one that should last a few days, it would be lost as soon as news hound comes on. and I am trying to get more members posting. and it sems most of you agree that no one reads his reports, just an idia, anyway Neil is looking into it. regards mac
Old 31-01-13, 06:28 AM
Banned

sticky sticky sticky to bump up
Old 31-01-13, 11:22 AM
Regular

Mac.

This thread sits at the VERY top of the forum, you're just bumping it up the New Posts list.

Thats not to say I disagree with your idea, I think a) sticky posts are fine and b) Newshound is unloved.
Old 06-02-13, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Neil Rigby
Smile Upgrade pending

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I am about to make a major upgrade on the website and I will filter through all the requests, so a wish list can be realised.

There is likely to be a bit of down time when we are upgrading but I'll let everyone know in advance.

I think the home page should have a lot of different options of threads - latest, most popular, popular image etc.

Anyway, I'm preparing the groundwork, so now's the time to get any requests in!
www.birding.uk.com
Old 06-02-13, 06:04 PM
Banned

Hi Neil as I tried to say in my e-mail, the new posts are full of newshound, wishing no disrespect, but if a member puts a post on it is not long before it disapears with a lot of stuff that no one looks at, when I open up the uk forum it goes straight to the new post section, I have a job finding the main block, good luck in your endeavours. regards mac
Old 06-02-13, 08:40 PM
Regular

Apart form the newshound reports (which I think should be removed entirely) here are my 2 pence worth.

1. I think the facebook page needs some kind of integration to bring the facebook users into the forum more often, not sure how to achieve that without the facebook page spamming into the forum. Perhaps a better link from the FB group.

I realise that those who choose to just post there do so for a reason and they shouldn't be forced one way or another.

2. I'd like larger pictures in the albums, 600x is just too small.

3. Can we have more images per post, 4 is very limiting. I'd like at least 8.

4. One big button from the home pages that links to: Birding UK and Ireland Forum - Search Results