Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Bird Discussion > Birdwatching Equipment > Binoculars > Opticron Binoculars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-12-17, 09:20 PM
Regular

Default New Opticron bins

In the middle of the year I was diagnosed with Macular Degeneration,not good news for a lifelong birder. In simple terms at the moment it means that my peripheral vision is soso but it is difficult to focus on an object. My Opticron 8x32 Countryman while good do not let enough light in so I started researching something that might help me when out birding. After a lot of research and a lot of help from users on another birding forum I bought a pair of Opticron Imagic 10x50 porro prism bins. I opted for porro prism as they do let more light through as the light path is shorter. The 50mm objective lens helps with the light also. I have found that they do help my problem which is the best I can hope for as there is no cure so fat. The bins are a little heavy by some modern standards and bulky but if they mean I can still get out birdwatching on our local moors a small price to pay. I find it helps if Chris is with me to help spot the birds and better in small groups rather than out with a club group as too many directions are confusing. It shows one point when looking for new bins do not exclude porro prism models and as an American friend put it "you get more binocular for your bucks" mainly because they are less expensive to produce.
Old 21-12-17, 09:34 AM
Regular

As long as they help you to continue your favorite hobby
that's the main thing,life can be cruel, but I have always
told myself, there is always someone worse off than
me, you stay positive, and hope you go on enjoying
the wildlife for a long time.