Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > Places to See Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-09, 03:45 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONNY74 View Post
Ha good point about the wc Ruth. But it really is a top reserve always likely to throw up something unusual.
We're popping over there while on holiday next week so am hoping that the Dowitchers hang around for another few days!
I heard that the reason the reserve has never been expanded is because of local oposition to traffic etc,that's why the reserve isn't even signposted......a bit posh on that side of the county aren't they! lol!

My Photos
Old 06-10-09, 04:07 PM
Regular

Yes thats true it is posh I think the queen might have a place around there lol.. I don't know how true the rumour is but i've heard the new reserve entrance may well be away from Burton anyway. And it could be on the main A540 towards New Mills. And also that the hides will be situated on the opposite side of the pools to where it is now. But thats just gossip i've heard while I have been earwigging in the hide. Think with regards to the Dowitchers they've been there over a week so fingers crossed for you for next week Ruth. But even if they have gone there is no shortage of good birds there at the moment e.g Curlew Sandpiper, Golden Plover and your patience may well be rewarded with great views of Water Rail and Hen Harrier in front of the hide.

Last edited by JONNY74; 06-10-09 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 04:38 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONNY74 View Post
Yes thats true it is posh I think the queen might have a place around there lol.. I don't know how true the rumour is but i've heard the new reserve entrance may well be away from Burton anyway. And it could be on the main A540 towards New Mills. And also that the hides will be situated on the opposite side of the pools to where it is now. But thats just gossip i've heard while I have been earwigging in the hide. Think with regards to the Dowitchers they've been there over a week so fingers crossed for you for next week Ruth. But even if they have gone there is no shortage of good birds there at the moment e.g Curlew Sandpiper, Golden Plover and your patience may well be rewarded with great views of Water Rail and Hen Harrier in front of the hide.
I'm not too bothered whether they'll be there or not Jonny as you say there is always some good birding to be had there,it'll just be nice to spend sometime behind me scope! lol!

Interesting info that you've earwigged.......I shall keep mine open next week to see if I can add to it!! lol.

My Photos
Old 06-10-09, 07:59 PM
Regular

Can I add Dorset here? although I live next to two RSPB reserves in Weymouth, Radipole and Lodmoor and there are other good sites such as portland Bill and Ferrybridge, Arne is the best one as it has several different habitats and a wide range of birds, wc's and a tea shop.
Old 08-10-09, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Neil Rigby
Question South East of England

Next is the South East of England

Berkshire= TBA
Buckinghamshire= TBA
East Sussex= TBA
Hampshire= TBA
Isle of Wight= TBA
Kent= TBA
Oxfordshire= TBA
Surrey= TBA
West Sussex= TBA
www.birding.uk.com
Old 08-10-09, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up Dorset Bird Reserves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Can I add Dorset here? although I live next to two RSPB reserves in Weymouth, Radipole and Lodmoor and there are other good sites such as portland Bill and Ferrybridge, Arne is the best one as it has several different habitats and a wide range of birds, wc's and a tea shop.
Thanks Raptor, I'll add those.
www.birding.uk.com
Old 08-10-09, 04:06 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Can I second Arne for top spopt in the Dorset listing. But I never saw a Tea shop when I visited ?
And why is Kent still up for grabs thought you'd snap that up Neil.

My Website
Old 08-10-09, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Red face You're Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
And why is Kent still up for grabs thought you'd snap that up Neil.

...good point! Been sorting everyone else out first!
www.birding.uk.com
Old 08-10-09, 08:04 PM
Regular

Merlin, sorry that was not 100% true, the Tea Shop is next to the Toy Museum in the village (about 4 houses and a church) on the path from the Big Wood hide back to the car park. It is literaly the other side of the reserve boundry.
Old 08-10-09, 08:11 PM
Regular

Can I suggest St Bees for Cumbria or Hodbarrow I'm torn now:..ok maybe the Black Guillemots win.