Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > Places to See Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-09, 10:51 AM
Regular

I've never been to St.Bee's, so couldn't comment, but I couldn't support Hodbarrow either.

I had a great time when I visited, beautiful environment etc, but the reserve is a very long and rough dirt track with a hide stuck in the middle - absolutely no other facilities. I was there on a hot day and really could have done with somewhere to buy a cold drink, and then use the loo etc. It also needs better sign posting to stop people getting lost in the caravan park at the Haverrigg end

Alan
Old 09-10-09, 11:09 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONNY74 View Post
Can I suggest St Bees for Cumbria or Hodbarrow I'm torn now:..ok maybe the Black Guillemots win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjns View Post
I've never been to St.Bee's, so couldn't comment, but I couldn't support Hodbarrow either.

I had a great time when I visited, beautiful environment etc, but the reserve is a very long and rough dirt track with a hide stuck in the middle - absolutely no other facilities. I was there on a hot day and really could have done with somewhere to buy a cold drink, and then use the loo etc. It also needs better sign posting to stop people getting lost in the caravan park at the Haverrigg end
Never been to either but RSPB Haweswater is a wonderful spot.......on a nice day! And if you saw the Golden Eagle would make it a brilliant day out!
Again no facilities or public transport but simply for getting away from it all has my vote!
Attached Thumbnails
top-birding-site-each-english-county-rspb-haweswater-shap-2.jpg   top-birding-site-each-english-county-rspb-haweswater-shap-11.jpg  

My Photos

Last edited by Twitcheruth; 09-10-09 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-10-09, 11:35 AM
Regular

Quote:

Yes I see your point Alan. As I said the other week it is a great place for anything to turn up really. You have got the sea, the pools in front of the hide and the scrub land around the back. So you have a few different habitats in one. I just think its a little under watched as you don't get too many reports from there. Although similar places around my area regularly turn up great birds so no reason Hodbarrow shouldn't be the same. And with regards to refreshments and toilets I'm just fortunate as my dad lives in Haverigg so I don't have any problems.. St Bees has the same issues really because once you have started your walk up the headland from St Bees (town) your on your own cos there is nowt up there when you arrive. But brilliant for seabirds never the less. Oh I agree with you on the signposting as well because there isn't any
Old 09-10-09, 11:36 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitcheruth View Post
Never been to either but RSPB Haweswater is a wonderful spot.......on a nice day! And if you saw the Golden Eagle would make it a brilliant day out!
Again no facilities or public transport but simply for getting away from it all has my vote!
Nice place Ruth agreed.
Old 09-10-09, 01:00 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONNY74 View Post
And with regards to refreshments and toilets I'm just fortunate as my dad lives in Haverigg so I don't have any problems.
If he has a mind to, he could make a fortune with a mobile 'Birdwatchers' burger van - or would he open up the house !!

It's still a great place to visit - and now I know, I'll carry more water & a sarnie

Alan
Old 09-10-09, 02:39 PM
Regular

Quote:
If he has a mind to, he could make a fortune with a mobile 'Birdwatchers' burger van - or would he open up the house !!

It's still a great place to visit - and now I know, I'll carry more water & a sarnie

Good idea, it could even serve the wildlife as well as the visitors, like this one at Pennington Flash.
Attached Thumbnails
top-birding-site-each-english-county-cafe-pen.jpg  

My Website
Old 09-10-09, 04:48 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Good idea, it could even serve the wildlife as well as the visitors, like this one at Pennington Flash.
I'll be having my lunch from there one day next week!!

My Photos
Old 09-10-09, 06:11 PM
Regular

Quote:

Good one Alan I think i'll put that one to him.
Old 09-10-09, 06:52 PM
Regular

Quote:
I'd be careful if I were you those Swans look like they're about to mug those two in front.

My Website
Old 10-10-09, 03:39 PM
Regular

Quote:
I was down there last week, they had strimmed the islands so the Snipe were showing well cos they had nowhere to hide . Also I'm sure you know the new Ramsdales hide is now open, from there keep an eye out for Kingfisher apparently they like the branches to the left close to the hide and the fallen small tree on the little island right in front both only about 10-15ft from the hide, so take the camera and good luck. I wasn't lucky enough to get the Kingfisher but got some pics of the Snipe.
Attached Thumbnails
top-birding-site-each-english-county-snipe-pf-04.jpg  

My Website