Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > Places to See Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-10, 09:57 PM
Regular

I have to disagree with Rye Meads for Herts - in my opinion, Amwell NR is a much better site!
Old 01-03-10, 10:06 PM
Regular

Just out of curiosity, when you say best birding sites, would this mean a number of different things, like, easy access to the place, good bird spotting places, has some amenities for those rainy days. Good trails and so on.

Or is it just the choice of birds to see?
Old 04-11-10, 10:42 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I can agree with you about too many birders. I know some people are only trying to help, but I find it most annoying when you enter a hide and they point out everything of note on the scrape it ruins the visit, its like being told the result before you watch the match.
I use Titchwell and cley, and most on the north Norfolk coast, never had anyone offer ID until I ask, only point out rareties, birding is about sharing experiences with other birders and they are always (mostly) a very friendly bunch, Titchwell Vs Cley? both superb, Titchwell and Cley are very peaceful very early and late evening and daytime midweek. If it came to the crunch I would choose Titchwell.

Last edited by yosmite; 04-11-10 at 10:46 AM.
Old 25-01-11, 05:30 PM
Regular

Default Rainham Marshes

Well for me Rainham has to get a vote, being my local. Not the most attractive place in the birding world im sure being a semi rural site.

Views consist of the Eurostar track to France, Rubbish Dump, Part of the Thames Barrier, Dartford QE2 River Crossing an old power station, the Canary Wharf Building and associated Towers in Docklands, Haulage Tanker Storage Yards, the old stone barges, Purfleet docks, numerous Pylons and i almost forgot all the rubish that litters the other side of the Thames wall as you walk along it.

That said, get into the main reserve and somehow that all seems to vanish; its still there obviuolsy and in sight but you dont seem to mind.

The pylons and power stations are our roosting / nesting / observing places for the resident Perigrins, who will dive onto prey in the marsh pools in front of you scattering upto (last count) 1100 wigeon, 1000 lapwing, 1000 teal, 500 golden plover and many others into a mass flight.

The Rubish Tip is part of why we go, i have actually been to the marshes, not viewed the marshes but stood on the roadside watching Gulls in the tip for 5 hours. CRAZY you may ask well not really, i managed to be one of about 40 birders who got to glimps the UK's first sighting of a Slaty Backed Gull the other week. (Birding etc with Dominic Mitchell for more on that). Caspian, Yellow Legged, LBB, GBB, Herring, Common & BHG all easily viewable with upto 10000 gulls visiting (see the vids on that site i just linked).

The rubish along the Thames helps us with more gulls and the Thames it self gets numerous species, Eiders, Great Egrets, Gannets & Bitterns to name a few.

The woodland area provides the usual suspects and on average up to 70 Ring Necked Parakeets.

I could go on, January the first saw 96 species recorded on one day, its life list is now over 205.

Well worth a visit.

Sorry had to add a shout for the Essex
Old 25-01-11, 05:41 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frapachino View Post
Well for me Rainham has to get a vote, being my local. Not the most attractive place in the birding world im sure being a semi rural site.

Views consist of the Eurostar track to France, Rubbish Dump, Part of the Thames Barrier, Dartford QE2 River Crossing an old power station, the Canary Wharf Building and associated Towers in Docklands, Haulage Tanker Storage Yards, the old stone barges, Purfleet docks, numerous Pylons and i almost forgot all the rubish that litters the other side of the Thames wall as you walk along it.

That said, get into the main reserve and somehow that all seems to vanish; its still there obviuolsy and in sight but you dont seem to mind.

The pylons and power stations are our roosting / nesting / observing places for the resident Perigrins, who will dive onto prey in the marsh pools in front of you scattering upto (last count) 1100 wigeon, 1000 lapwing, 1000 teal, 500 golden plover and many others into a mass flight.

The Rubish Tip is part of why we go, i have actually been to the marshes, not viewed the marshes but stood on the roadside watching Gulls in the tip for 5 hours. CRAZY you may ask well not really, i managed to be one of about 40 birders who got to glimps the UK's first sighting of a Slaty Backed Gull the other week. (Birding etc with Dominic Mitchell for more on that). Caspian, Yellow Legged, LBB, GBB, Herring, Common & BHG all easily viewable with upto 10000 gulls visiting (see the vids on that site i just linked).

The rubish along the Thames helps us with more gulls and the Thames it self gets numerous species, Eiders, Great Egrets, Gannets & Bitterns to name a few.

The woodland area provides the usual suspects and on average up to 70 Ring Necked Parakeets.

I could go on, January the first saw 96 species recorded on one day, its life list is now over 205.

Well worth a visit.

Sorry had to add a shout for the Essex
Nice one, and congratulations on the slaty-backed gull! I read about that, and then had to learn what one was

Long way from here, and I don't think my girlfriend is quite at the stage where she'll tolerate a drive across country to look at a rubbish dump just yet , but if ever we're in the area will certainly look it up!
Old 10-02-11, 09:01 PM
Regular

I had 1 Red Kite over Tiptree Heath, Essex on Sunday, My first Essex Kite. Also a Bittern and Smew at Abberton Reservoir, Essex
Old 17-02-11, 01:09 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrose82 View Post
I have to disagree with Rye Meads for Herts - in my opinion, Amwell NR is a much better site!
Only a few miles away - and within easy walking distance, but yes, Amwell NR is a far better site IMHO. What about the sites further west in the county though such as the Colne Valley gravel pits and Tring Reservoirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frapachino View Post
Rainham is without doubt the premier Essex site within the London area (a 20 mile radius of St Pauls Cathedral), but is it really the premier site in Essex? There are plenty of other Essex sites in the running including The Naze, Holland Haven, Abberton Reservoir, Fingringhoe Wick, Old Hall Marshes (and most other coastal sites). There is probably an unfair bias towards Rainham because of the number of visitors - not because of the quality of the site (and I'm ignoring many other Essex sites here, like Fishers Green in the Lee Valley, and Epping Forest).
Old 09-03-11, 10:36 PM
Regular

In my opinion Strumpshaw Fen is among if not the best reserve in Norfolk. I say this simply because of the variety of habitats that are available i.e. Wet woodland, Meadow, Reed beds and the river Yare. Also Buckenham and Cantley marshes are only a 20 minute walk away.
Old 02-07-13, 05:01 PM
Regular

I agree that Strumshaw is a very good reserve. Have not visited it for a few years but I hope to very soon. But must find out if I can take my mobility scooter on there and what the terrain is now like.