Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > Places to See Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-10-09, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Neil Rigby
Question South West England Bristol, Glos, Somerset, Dorset, Wilts, Devon, Cornwall

We are creating the definitive list of top birding sites in UK and Ireland.

Here are the nominations for South West of England.

EDITED

Bristol = TBA
Gloucestershire = Slimbridge WWT
Somerset = Chew Valley Lake
Dorset = Arne RSPB
Wiltshire = TBA
Devon = Dawlish Warren
Cornwall = TBA
Isles of Scilly = Probably the whole lot!

NB. Bristol is currently named Avon – is this correct? Comments please.

Please feel free to post your comments or counter proposals.
www.birding.uk.com
Old 15-10-09, 04:37 PM
Regular

I think Raptor proposed Arne RSPB for Dorset and I seconded it, I'd third it as well if it were allowed. It is a good large site with a wide range of habitats. the areas around are also good Grip & Coombe Heath, Middlebere Lake, Hartland Moor, Stoborough Heath and Swineham Point.
There is the oddest placed bird hide I've ever come across at Stoborough Heath, its placed on the dismantled tramway near Sunnyside Farm just over looking a pasture and Willow Tree. I did ask a warden at Arne about it but he didn't seem to know it was there !? There is also a screen in the middle of a field overlooking a scrape but without any access, probably one of those Authorised Personel Only things that annoy me soooo much.

My Website
Old 16-10-09, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Neil Rigby
Thumbs up Arne RSPB

Carried! Arne RSPB is the Dorset choice.

Thanks!
www.birding.uk.com
Old 22-10-09, 12:47 PM
Regular

I'd recommend Leigh Woods and the Avon Gorge (they adjoin) for the Bristol site.

I'd also like to counter the Somerset suggestion; I prefer Ham Wall/Shapwick Heath. Far more versatility and accessability than Chew Valley Lake.

As for Bristol/Avon, to be honest Avon was never much used even before it got abolished. Bristol probably suffices for the area between Somerset and Gloucestershire, unless you want to get far too involved with unitary authority boundaries!!
Old 03-02-11, 02:13 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by astafjevs View Post
I'd recommend Leigh Woods and the Avon Gorge (they adjoin) for the Bristol site.

I'd also like to counter the Somerset suggestion; I prefer Ham Wall/Shapwick Heath. Far more versatility and accessability than Chew Valley Lake.

As for Bristol/Avon, to be honest Avon was never much used even before it got abolished. Bristol probably suffices for the area between Somerset and Gloucestershire, unless you want to get far too involved with unitary authority boundaries!!
id say anywhere but chew as a choice nice area but not accessible, i got more in the ponds near the lake that at the lake and much much nearer...
Old 31-05-14, 08:48 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by astafjevs View Post

I'll be spending a few days in Somerset (near Minehead) next week and the week after. At least one of those will be a dedicated birding day, so any further information in advance will be gratefully received and much appreciated.

Tony