Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > Places to See Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-12-16, 08:43 PM
Regular

A summary of another great year for my birding days health wise a bit of a hit and miss year.

Highlights of the Year have to be the Bonaparte's Gull seen at Exmouth on the River Exe Bird watching cruise January 24th I would recommend this cruise to All birders.

The next has to be the Baird's Sandpiper at Upton Warren Nature Reserve on a damp morning in September (12th) great views from the Tower Hide (Avocet hide) did manage to get some record shots of the bird.

The next on has to be the Greenland Wheatear at Portland Bill just over the road in the paddocks it was mobile flying around the paddock and then dropping behind some scrub (September 25th).

Must admit I have had a wonderful year with the trips organised by Stourbridge Bird club RSPB the people on the trips are very friendly and will help anyone no matter what their experience is, I have learned so much from this group over the last few years and hope to learn even more in the future.

Here's wishing all of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year with a great birding year to every one.

Adrian
Old 13-12-16, 11:07 PM
Regular

Thanks Adrian, and the same to you, perhaps with the emphasis on a [I]healthy[I] 2017.

Tony
Old 14-12-16, 07:33 PM
Regular

Seasons Greetings and best wishes to you too Adrian!

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 16-12-16, 07:59 AM
Regular

Many thanks both .

will be starting a new thread shortly with my visits for 2017 year list will be included in the new thread and hopefully more photographs of both species seen and location images.

First port of call will be the back garden on the 01st and then Rutland Water on the 07th then on to Upton Warren on the 12th and finally on to Attenborough Nature Reserve on the 22nd with the Stourbridge Bird Club.

I will be doing my Garden Watch in between these dates as well so hoping for a good start with both my targets for 2017 (150 species on photographs and 175 species seen) which won't be bad for a Public Transport Birder me thinks.

Last edited by ADRIAN K; 16-12-16 at 08:01 AM.
Old 28-12-16, 06:51 AM
Regular

Possibly the last update on this thread before moving to my new thread for 2017.

Garden watch over the Christmas period not to much to report except for a few species with a slight difference in appearances.

Firstly a very pale Buzzard as been roosting in the trees at the bottom of my garden for a few nights now the main parts of the body are very pale brown even cream in some parts but definitely a common Buzzard.

There are now at least 2 Blackbirds with white marking around there bodies visiting the feeding stations in my garden one has considerably more than the other both look to be young birds.

Still having large flocks of Redwing and Fieldfare flying over the garden in a morning the odd Meadow Pipit passing through as well.

We have at least 3 Tawny owls now around the fields just behind my house as I have seen 2 individuals myself and a good friend of mine saw a third on the same morning roughly the same time in a slightly different area of the field, just wondering if the third bird could be a young bird from this years breeding still hanging around maybe.

Badgers have broken down the bottom branches on my feeding stations of late so will be putting more food out for the little bug---s and refurbishing the feeding station towards the weekend.

Had another unexpected guest on Boxing day another Blue tit managed to get into the house didn't realise until the dog started barking at the window and wouldn't shut up, managed to catch the bird and release it back into the wild with no injuries to the bird or me.

Happy new year to all.

Last edited by ADRIAN K; 28-12-16 at 06:55 AM.
Old 31-12-16, 08:18 AM
Regular

Decided to take my friendly poodle for a walk around the local fields yesterday 30/12/2016 wasn't going to do any birdwatching as the ground was very muddy and slippery but after a while I was looking everywhere for birds.

I had great views of Redwing, Fieldfare, 100's of Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Buzzard and a roosting Tawny Owl.

Will be doing the same walk in the next few days so as to get my year off to a good start and will be taking a pair of bins and a camera next time.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.

This thread will close tonight at midnight.