Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > Places to See Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-02-16, 07:42 PM
Regular

Default RSPB Lytchett Fields

Here goes this is an afternoon visit to the RSPB Lytchett Fields
Saturday 20th I took another trip down to the fields to see what I could find, it is only my 7th visit so far with only being able to go Friday afternoons if I'am lucky or it is weekends only, so way behind those that go regular . It being a weekend the weather was grey dull with light drizzel at times turning in to rain on the way home.

Despite the weather I still managed to have an enjoyable few hours looking for new species to add to the list.

While walking down Slough Lane I was seeing all the usual suspects like blue and great tits, goldfinch and some siskins and it was not long before I added the first new bird with a Nuthatch in one of the Oak trees along the lane, at the bottom of the lane I spotted a Great Spotted Woodpeck and 3 Bullfinch.

I scanned the Pools Field for the Water Pipits and Rock Pipit that had been seen by others but at a distance and on such a gloomy afternoon, I could only make out what I thought were Meadow Pipits.

So I went and had a look out in Black Pipie Bay and here I ticked off another for the list and a first for this bay in the form of 5 Red-breasted Mergansers. Also here I watched 22 Wigeon come flying in and it was a good exerise to watch there jizz and plumage patten as they came in and land on the water.

rspb-lytchett-fields-lane-0358-1024x683-.jpg.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	12878
Walking down the lane

rspb-lytchett-fields-yellow-boat-0359-1024x683-.jpg.jpg
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	12879
The Yellow Boat

After this I made my a back down the lane to the other view points at Frenches Point and Sherford Pools. The first view point I went to was Frenches Point to look over the mud were I found 68 Shelduck and 2 Greylag geese tucked up over on the far side of the mud sheltering from the wind. The third species found so far, but the fourth was a easy one I should of recorded on the first visit and all the other visits it was Mallards

While watching over Sherford Pools I was treated to a large flock of Lapwing with a good group of Dunlin mixed in ,come flying in and wheel about here and there before landing, a wonderful site .

And then the rain started and so I made my way back along the lanes and back home as it was starting to get late.

rspb-lytchett-fields-pwc2.jpg
The wooden bridge I was standing on taking the below picture

rspb-lytchett-fields-view-birdge-0362-1024x683-.jpg.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	12881
View of Frenches field from the birdge

The list now stands at 65 species seen with 73 species point accumalated so far

The new birds for today.

Nuthatch

Red-breasted Merganser

Greylag Goose

Mallard
Old 22-02-16, 09:09 PM
Regular

I don't know your area at all Woody; are all those different habitats part of the same reserve? Must be quite a place and the variety of birds you've seen there are witness to that. Pity the weather was so unfriendly, but then that's the story of the winter so far...

Tony
Old 23-02-16, 07:03 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
I don't know your area at all Woody; are all those different habitats part of the same reserve? Must be quite a place and the variety of birds you've seen there are witness to that. Pity the weather was so unfriendly, but then that's the story of the winter so far...

Tony
Yes all part of the reserve, and I have seen some real nice bird there to and had lifers with Water Pipit, Little Stint, Wood Sandpipers, Little and Ringed Plovers and seen Ruff in differant stages of breeding plumage. It real is an interesting place these links will explain about the site better than will.
New Lytchett Bay Path Opens

http://www.birdsofpooleharbour.co.uk...t%20Bay-12.pdf

Hope it is alright to post these links and they are some help interest to you and everyone.