Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > Places to See Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-05-16, 12:15 AM
Regular

Default Advice please

I'll be spending a week in south Devon shortly, at Slapton, followed by a week near Poole in Dorset. I'd love to add a couple of local specialities to my life list while I'm there so I'm seeking advice on where to go to find, say, Dartford Warbler; Cirl Bunting; Nightjar; and Woodlark (just for a start you understand , other suggestions welcome). I've had brilliant advice on here in the past, so here's hoping for this time too...

Cheers

Tony
Old 20-05-16, 02:25 PM
Regular

Hi Tony,
Try Morden Bog, Hartland Moor for Dartford Warbler, Tree Pipit, Hobby, though Morden bog is a big place to explore. Try and book on to one of RSPB Arne's Nightjar walks been on these in the past and have had a couple of nice views of perched birds and seen them flying and listening to there churring, also chance of Woodlark and Dartfords. Though there is a chance of seeing hearing them on the others places. What other birds you looking to find while in Dorset.
Old 20-05-16, 10:36 PM
Regular

You don't need an organised walk for Nightjar, they're easy at Arne. (That's not to dissuade you from going on a walk, just that if there isn't one that suits you don't worry!)

Dartfords are relatively common on areas of heath with gorse, Arne is reliable but so are other areas.

Good luck with woodlarks, they're impossible

Labrador Bay near Teignmouth is nailed on for cirl buntings and easy to park etc, but you can probably get them nearer to where you're staying. Broadsands and Prawle Point are famous for them too.

Watch out for Lammergeiers while you're in Devon

Last edited by astafjevs; 20-05-16 at 11:22 PM.
Old 27-05-16, 10:09 PM
Regular

Thanks for the replies people; I haven't been ignoring you, just really busy. I'll check out the locations that have been suggested, though it looks increasingly likely that I'll have to take opportunities as they arise rather than planning something in advance. Initially I'll be looking to visit reserves, but I'm still trying to sort out which are most easily accessible from our two bases. Is RSPB Aylesbeare worth visiting?

Thanks for your input.

Tony
Old 27-05-16, 10:24 PM
Regular

Ayelsbeare is quite big, the target species would be easier at Arne which although larger, is more accessible in my opinion.

But with a bit of effort, Dartfords and Nightjar should be possible at Ayelsbeare.

I'll pm you a 'dead cert' for Dartfords near Poole, it might save you some time!