Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > Places to See Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-16, 05:36 PM
Regular

Default Bempton Cliffs area

I know that a number of people have been to Bempton Cliffs, which is an excellent RSPB site, but if you are heading there consider also visiting Thornwick Bay, North Landing and Flamborough Head which are all very close. At Thornwick Bay and North Landing you can get on the beach and look up at the cliffs to see the birds. There were also Puffins at all these sites when I visited - in fact quite a large number of them at North Landing. There's a link here to a short video that I took from the beach at Thornwick Bay:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/5izIYQ...toplay=1&rel=0

Photo based websites at
british-garden-birds.com
gardenbirdwatching.com

Last edited by simon624; 01-07-16 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-07-16, 09:06 AM
Regular

Great vid will be visiting Bempton in September if I'm better (which is looking good at the moment but never promise) will see if I can manage the beach many thanks for the info.
Old 02-07-16, 11:38 AM
Regular

We usually find the Puffins easier to see at North landing,certainly easier for young birders.When we have taken the 6 year old grandson to Bempton it is almost impossible for him to see no matter how hard the volunteers try. The essential safety fences mean it is hard to get a scope onto the birds.Both great places to visit,we hope to be there next Friday.
Old 02-07-16, 10:30 PM
Regular

Could some kind soul please give me directions on how to get to North Landing from Bempton Cliffs RSPB and roughly how long it takes to get there.

Is it possible to do it with a large coach how will we have to park away from North Landing Beach?
Old 03-07-16, 10:03 AM
Regular

If you take the coach back to Bempton village,turn right gtowards Bridlington,follow signs for Flamborough. North Landing is signposted from village.Narrow roads but no narrower than the Bempton road. Fair sized car park used by service buses and paths along cliff top and a decent track down to beach.This is a bit steep but plenty of benches for a rest on way back up. Also small fishing boats run from here when local boatmen will take you below the cliffs .
Old 03-07-16, 10:51 AM
Regular

Many thanks for the info will try and visit on my next trip thank you again.
Old 05-07-16, 12:17 PM
Regular

Some images to give you an idea of these places. At North Landing the tide goes out quite a way further than in the photo. The cliffs on the far side had Puffins, Kittiwakes, Guillemots and Razorbills (probably Fulmars as well although I don't recall seeing one here). At Thornwick Bay there were the same array of birds mostly on the cliffs to the right just out of shot. Also Sand Martins on the banks to the left. Flamborough Head very similar although less accessible. Pay and display carparks at Flamborough Head and North Landing (tickets are valid for both). Free carparking at Thornwick Bay and you can easily walk to North Landing from there on the cliff path.
Attached Thumbnails
bempton-cliffs-area-flamborough_head.jpg   bempton-cliffs-area-north-landing.jpg   bempton-cliffs-area-thornwick_bay.jpg  

Photo based websites at
british-garden-birds.com
gardenbirdwatching.com