Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > Places to See Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-12-16, 08:03 AM
Regular

Default Kingfishers, Dipper's

I often watch Kingfishers around the Usk at Aberbran, Powys and also on the Nant Bran at aberbran and of course Dippers in both locations.

I have added a map
http://j.mp/2h4IyHl

The cobblstone bridge is on a public footpath if walking in the field opposite the aberbran fawr campsite please stay close to the river bank

Last edited by daiwelly52; 22-12-16 at 09:01 AM.
Old 21-12-16, 10:43 AM
Regular

Looks a great spot Dai, how old are the bridges ?

Last edited by alan21; 21-12-16 at 10:46 AM.
Old 21-12-16, 01:54 PM
Regular

The old Cobblstone bridge is pre 1700 not sure the old mill behind was last worked in 1953 the last miller was killed there in a accident, it has since been converted to a dwelling.
The multi arch bridge i can date as it has a inscription on it AD1700 When it was first built it was operated as toll bridge and was built by the squire and Magistrate John Games, of Aberbran Fawr Farm.
The farmhouse is the servants quarters of a castle lated mansion which once stood there part of which can be seen looking from the lane along the access drive at the far end of the house, the Games family won the right to a castlelated mansion at the battle of agincourt, there are walls in the farm house nearly 14ft thick

Last edited by daiwelly52; 22-12-16 at 09:22 AM.
Old 21-12-16, 04:10 PM
Regular

Thanks Dai, I thought they looked old, I love bridges, I also love kingfishers and dippers, this is one I managed last year.
Attached Thumbnails
kingfishers-dippers-dipper-resize.jpg  
Old 22-12-16, 07:24 AM
Regular

They look great areas Dai!

Lovely images and yours too Alan!

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 22-12-16, 10:17 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiwelly52 View Post
The old Cobblstone bridge is pre 1700 not sure the old mill behind was last worked in 1953 the last miller was killed there in a accident, it has since been converted to a dwelling.
The multi arch bridge i can date as it has a inscription on it AD1700 When it was first built it was operated as toll bridge and was built by the squire and Magistrate John Games, of Aberbran Fawr Farm.
The farmhouse is the servants quarters of a castle lated mansion which once stood there part of which can be seen looking from the lane along the access drive at the far end of the house, the Games family won the right to a castlelated mansion at the battle of agincourt, there are walls in the farm house nearly 14ft thick
the single span pack horse bridge looks very much like the one at Carrbridge near Avimore, but yours is in a bit better condition, marvellous how them lads built them.