LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-17, 06:36 PM
Hatchling Member

I think you're right strangely enough.
Old 01-03-17, 06:56 PM
Hatchling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
Hi troutman, When we come up to Scotland all the way up from the lake district pair where you do need bino's, but all along the route to the highlands are Osprey sites, some are know and sign posted some have a small charge 4/6 but you can see the eyrie as well as the birds close up,we also know of several undisclosed sites, if you call in at the dolphin centre at Spey bay there are at least 6 pairs of Osprey's breeding, and come everyday on the tide to fish, In one place very similar to yours we can drive in park, go for a meal. Toilets, but then walk around and see a pair nesting at the top of a tree, the Fishery manager is a great guy.And there are four pairs of Osprey, breeding not that far from you, where they have set up viewing areas, and the local bird club have both cameras and bino's looking at the eyrie. Ospreys are now fortunately quite well established so I think you would be surprised at how many we have in the U.K. (that includes Scotland)
I wasn't aware their was so many places you could get up close. I think i'll pack it in and just enjoy them for myself. I suppose it's a great thing the numbers have gone up, unlike other Raptors that are at the mercy of gamekeepers I suppose Ospreys don't give anyone reason to persicute them. I reckon they cost me about 2000/year. I can live with that.
Old 01-03-17, 08:09 PM
Regular

Great places to see ospreys | The Wildlife Trusts
Great places to see ospreys | The Wildlife Trusts

In the UK there are now close to 300 breeding pairs the majority of these are in Scotland while there are increasing numbers in England and Wales,
Old 01-03-17, 08:49 PM
Regular

I guess you wouldn't be interested in this place Alan21:

Aviemore Ospreys, Wildlife Photography Aviemore Scotland, Cairngorm Wildlife Photography

I've seen their setup but not used it - it is for photographers and many great photographs have been taken there. It isn't cheap but obviously works for them.

I suggest you give it a go troutman and if you can provide an adequate hide and initially don't set your charges too high it could work for you. Why not go to Aviemore and see their setup - it's near the Mcdonald Hotel.
Old 01-03-17, 09:35 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijwilki View Post
I guess you wouldn't be interested in this place Alan21:

Aviemore Ospreys, Wildlife Photography Aviemore Scotland, Cairngorm Wildlife Photography

I've seen their setup but not used it - it is for photographers and many great photographs have been taken there. It isn't cheap but obviously works for them.

I suggest you give it a go troutman and if you can provide an adequate hide and initially don't set your charges too high it could work for you. Why not go to Aviemore and see their setup - it's near the Mcdonald Hotel.
I think this is the same site that Troutman has been discussing
Old 02-03-17, 09:04 AM
Regular

If its the same set up which I suspect it is, we went up to have a look on the way
north, he dug a big hole and made the hide round it, the only problem is, we were on a public path
about 100' from the hide, ten feet from the water, the pond is only small and is next to the A9
with a public footpath going all round it, its behind the big hotel in Avimore,we got talking
to a man, who turned out to be the brother of the owner, and he told us most of the
pictures of Ospreys catching fish were taken by him, but not at this pond ??? make
your own minds up. I believe the owner put a series of post on this site about it at the time.
sorry just looked at your post yes it sounds like the same site, behind the McDonald hotel
if you have seen it would you say a wild Osprey would come there hunting, especially
when the Rothimurchas fish farm is 200yrd away,????

Last edited by alan21; 02-03-17 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-03-17, 05:05 PM
Regular

An interesting thread Troutman. I see on a bigger 'Bird Forum' you have had many positive responses!

I wish you luck in your new venture! An update in the future would be most welcome.

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 04-03-17, 07:28 AM
Regular

Just had a look on the other site, and I think there are as many against it as they are for
the mention of the Rothimurchas fish farm, I called in there last year and the manager
told us they had stopped doing birding trips because of the high cost of public liability,
and the conflict between fisherfolk, and the birders, but as you say an interesting
thread,I would wish anyone who tries this venture to be aware of all the pitfalls
while always thinking of the needs of their customers, to many of these places
have set up, but give punters the wrong information, as I said before it
was a right eye opener talking to the brother of the one behind the hotel,
if anyone is up there please go take a look ??.
Troutman I did not mean to offend but only helping you, I still feel you can make a success of
your project if its done in the right way,I also note from the other forum, that you say you would
not have to provide anything for the birders, ie Toilets, that I feel would be a mistake.
as Judith said, please let us all know how you go on.
Old 04-03-17, 07:47 AM
Hatchling Member

I thought I would try a different path and look into photography as well as bird watching. There seemed to be a much more positive response there until I was banned for "spamming" which is difficult as folk want to know where you are and we are not even in business yet just testing the water.
I've got my first booking and I think i'll just do it in low numbers, maybe 3max/day but most likely it'll be 1 photographer having the whole farm for the day for 50. Insurance is not so bad doing it this way.
There will be a toilet and a room for tea/coffee etc but nothing fancy that you get at a government run establishment.
So I'll still keep it going as my costs are very low and if you fancy a day watching Ospreys with your own eyes please get in touch. I could do a forum discount for a group of 3 booking for a day (90).
Thanks for all the feedback, it's just what I need.
Old 04-03-17, 08:33 AM
Regular

Blimey troutman I have reread your other posts and cannot see anything wrong with
what you posted,so I cannot understand why they should have banned you,
mind you I personally do not contribute to that site, for a varied reason.
I think your project should be based on Photographers, and not bird watchers,
they can find plenty of places to see and watch Ospreys, but my only other thought
for you is if you observe the spots where the birds most favour, perhaps put up a hide
or screen that way the photographers will feel it worth paying for that extra special shot.
As I said best wishes in your venture, I will try to call in on our way back from Scotland
in June on our way to Northumberland, its just a bit out of the way in Selkirk,
but will try to persuade my lovely wife we need to do a different route.
P.S. I see from the other site you say you don't have fishermen/woman fishing
you did not mention that on here, that throws a different light on it, as you will
not have to worry about birders clashing with the Anglers.

Last edited by alan21; 04-03-17 at 08:54 AM.