Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > Places to See Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-02-17, 11:24 AM
Hatchling Member

Default Osprey's in Scottish Borders

Hi. I have a trout farm i the Scottish Borders and this year we have bit the bullet and are going to offer viewing of the Osprey's that visit the farm. It will be a "no thrills" basic facilities but will offer amazing close up viewing of Osprey's flying and fishing around the farm.
Please check out the website at www.yarrowfishery.co.uk
Thanks
Steve
Old 27-02-17, 01:44 PM
Regular

Seems a bit steep at 35 on the chance you may see an Osprey
There are plenty of places now where members of the public
can see ospreys, and the Loch of Lowes you are guaranteed
to see them for a minimal cost ??? sorry hope not to offend.
but a lot of people cannot afford these sort of prices, on the
off chance. Also a lot of people will probably be only passing
so a free visit if you don't see them seems a waste of time
and money for the visitors.

Last edited by alan21; 27-02-17 at 03:02 PM.
Old 27-02-17, 07:41 PM
Regular

I certainly agree with Alan,with a bit of scouting on the web and talking to experienced birders most birders can find Ospreys for free or the price of car parking 35 is an awful lot and 7 hours is longer than all but the most dedicated will want to stop.I can think of a site or two not far from this location where birders can see Osprey for free. Good luck to the venture but as they say in the Dragons Den "I'm out"
Old 28-02-17, 07:21 AM
Hatchling Member

Thanks for the feedback, as for the prices and that is all you seem to have issue with, I am not going to open my farm , provide parking, staff, viewing facilities, refreshments, toilet, insurance, not to mention being around from 5am-dusk for anything less.
Trying to run a rural non subsidised business in the UK is very hard, that's why we have had to go down this route, to make the most of what we have.

I don't know of a place where you can see Osprey's flying 30ft above your head and catching a fish maybe 50yds away. Like I say we cannot guarantee you will definitely see one but I have been here for 20yrs and in the season I could count the days on 1 hand that they have not been in.
I still love to see them every year and they are eating my fish, I would have thought if you were into birds , an Osprey close up would be up there, and 35 wouldn't put me off.
If we get little interest in it, we will close it down, I really thought we would get a good response though.
Old 28-02-17, 07:37 AM
Regular

Morning trout man, please don't take offence, and I agree with what you say regarding
the birds taking your fish,but in fairness all the other facilities were put in place for your
angler guests, I know a few places where you can walk round such places free, and
be guaranteed seeing Ospreys, one of them you can watch the eyrie at close
quarters one of the fish farms charge 5 to walk round in the hope of seeing
the birds, which is something you may want to consider, that way you don't
have to give a free day, the other thing is charging 5 per session say 2hrs
I don't think anyone will moan at that and you will be getting a return at no cost to
yourself.
Old 28-02-17, 08:58 AM
Hatchling Member

Smile

I understand what you're saying, but would you want people walking around your farm spooking the fish, litter, theft and everything else the general public brings for 5!
Not me. We would have to staff it and the insurance would be crazy. Life rings at every pond etc.
I have set this up for serious birders and photographers, I have not yet seen a Golden Eagle and would gladly pay 100 for someone to show me one at 100yds just for 5 minutes, I suppose it's really how much you want to see them.

Thanks for the response though , much appreciated. If you fancy coming up to see them let me know and I'll let you in free. Looks like you'll be on your own.
Old 28-02-17, 09:51 AM
Regular

Hi troutman, please don't be put off by our comments, I for one think it great
that trout farms try to get some money back from the birds that in a way they are
helping to protect, surely there would be a way to allow non fisher public to look
round in designated area's which did not disturb the paying guests, I know of
a few places that do that, I also know that a few places have tried to build hides
and charge 80/90 per 4 hr session, but they have failed a very limited market,
I am a very keen birder also used to fish, but my main hobby is photography
BUT I am on a pension ?? not pleading poverty, but I would rather see birds
in the wild state, and I am lucky to have found a lot of places, I could also
tell you the best place to see a Golden Eagle, but would have to get to know you
a lot before I would. Please have a think about it, I am sure you could come up
with something which would be beneficial to you and the birds.
Old 01-03-17, 03:41 PM
Hatchling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales birder View Post
I certainly agree with Alan,with a bit of scouting on the web and talking to experienced birders most birders can find Ospreys for free or the price of car parking 35 is an awful lot and 7 hours is longer than all but the most dedicated will want to stop.I can think of a site or two not far from this location where birders can see Osprey for free. Good luck to the venture but as they say in the Dragons Den "I'm out"
Well I don't know where you can see them close up with your own eyes, (not via a webcam or binoculars sitting on a nest) , and watch them take a fish right in front of you. They really aren't that common, "find them" you say...where??

"I can think of a site or two not far from this location where birders can see Osprey for free" again, where? Not Glentress or Kailzie Gardens because those are looking at a screen , you may as well look on Youtube for footage..
Old 01-03-17, 03:42 PM
Regular

Maybe it is better to look at this from the point of view of serious photographers than a bird watchers aspect (we can be a tight lot at times) Some spots do charge more and get the custom.
Good luck with the venture and you never know we might drop in when in the area.
Old 01-03-17, 05:13 PM
Regular

Hi troutman, When we come up to Scotland all the way up from the lake district pair where you do need bino's, but all along the route to the highlands are Osprey sites, some are know and sign posted some have a small charge 4/6 but you can see the eyrie as well as the birds close up,we also know of several undisclosed sites, if you call in at the dolphin centre at Spey bay there are at least 6 pairs of Osprey's breeding, and come everyday on the tide to fish, In one place very similar to yours we can drive in park, go for a meal. Toilets, but then walk around and see a pair nesting at the top of a tree, the Fishery manager is a great guy.And there are four pairs of Osprey, breeding not that far from you, where they have set up viewing areas, and the local bird club have both cameras and bino's looking at the eyrie. Ospreys are now fortunately quite well established so I think you would be surprised at how many we have in the U.K. (that includes Scotland)
Attached Thumbnails
ospreys-scottish-borders-resize.jpg   ospreys-scottish-borders-resized.jpg  

Last edited by alan21; 01-03-17 at 05:16 PM.