Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Forum Talk > Say Hello!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-04-16, 02:08 PM
Hatchling Member

Talking Hi From Yorkshire

Hello everyone, looking forward to having a good look through the forum and engaging with other users.

50 years young and looking to get back into the hobby of my childhood for a stress free distraction from life! Looking to get the Nikon P900 to assist me in my ventures. Any suggestions for the hobby will be gratefully received.
Old 22-04-16, 04:57 PM
Regular

Just picked up on this, so a slightly belated welcome to the forum. Given that it's been rather quiet since some regular posters stopped posting, it's great to welcome a new member.

Getting back into birding is just fabulous. I know because that's what I did about four or five years ago, and I just couldn't believe how things had changed in the years I'd been away; previously uncommon birds like Avocet and Little Egret have become everyday whilst common birds like House Sparrow and Starling have become more scarce.

As for suggestions, just get out there and do it. Visit reserves, listen to other birders, buy a good field guide (Collins for example), and most of all ask questions, whether on here or of the other birders you meet. It's a brilliant hobby with so much to catch up on. Don't be intimidated by so-called "experts" and remember the only daft question is the one you think of but don't ask. Since you live in Yorkshire I'd strongly recommend a visit to Bempton Cliffs RSPB reserve before too long; if ever there's a place to spark your inner birder into life, Bempton's it!! Oh - and take your P900 with you. You'll kick yourself if you don't .

Tony
Old 22-04-16, 05:27 PM
Regular

Hi welcome from a fellow Yorkshire man, what part of Yorkshire are you, I am in Knaresborough, as Tony says best to get out and enjoy, there are loads of reserves all over and I am sure any help will be forth coming on here.Look forward to seeing some of your pictures.
Old 22-04-16, 09:27 PM
Regular

As Tom (Hawkeye) says a warm welcome from N.Yorks,we are up in Ripon. Plenty to see and do birdwise,we like to spend a lot of birding time in Upper Nidderdale,great area for moorland birding.
Old 23-04-16, 02:49 PM
Hatchling Member

Default thank you

Thank you for the lovely welcome Tony, hawkeye and dalesbirder, I live close to blacktofts which will be a visit soon and looking at the lovely pictures from bempton I've seen elsewhere, its going to be a regular visiting spot. thanks again.
Old 24-04-16, 03:22 PM
Regular

Hi welcome to the forum from another Yorkshire birder
Neil
Old 25-04-16, 09:08 AM
Hatchling Member

Thanks Neil