Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Forum Talk > Say Hello!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-16, 02:30 PM
Hatchling Member

Smile Greetings from Ireland

Hi all,
I am living in central Ireland, loving the unspoilt wildlife and am a keen wildlifer for over 20 years.

Looking forward to posting a few pics and offering help in identifying any odd birds I can help with.

Chris
Old 10-05-16, 05:24 PM
Regular

Hi Chris welcome to the forum look forward to hearing about the
wildlife over in Ireland, I am trying to get my wife to go over there
as I have never been, have you any news on the Eagles ?? regards Tom
from North Yorkshire.
Old 11-05-16, 05:16 PM
Hatchling Member

Thanks for the welcome Tom.

The birding in central Ireland is somewhat limited in variety but we do get some very good close up shots of usually shy birds as they are less spooked by people.

The White Tailed Eagles are a mixed story with some great news from the Kilarney pair whose chicks have just hatched, but so many others have been shot or poisoned. We hear almost weekly stories of Pergrines, Sparrowhawks and Buzzards being killed and it is heartbreaking. Even some of new release of Red kites have been shot in Wicklow already.

I live on the shores of Lough Ree and we still have a juv. White Tailed that is seen quite regularly so fingers crossed it survives and finds a mate.

Chris
Old 11-05-16, 10:28 PM
Regular

Missed your introductory post Chris, but was smacked in the eye by your stunning album pics at the head of the homepage. Wow!! Must get over and do some birding in central Ireland very soon .

Welcome to the forum, and if these photos are anything to go by, I look forward to further contributions from you, home or away. It's a long time since I've been across to Ireland and then it was really just the east coast around Wicklow, Bray etc visiting relatives in Dun Laoghaire. Lovely part of the world.

Anyhoo - welcome.

Tony
Old 12-05-16, 12:01 PM
Hatchling Member

Thanks Tony, I am a bit of a shutterbug, I will post an album from Ireland shortly. I do a lot of work on recording Insects as well as Birds so might do a couple of albums.

The west coast of Ireland is really well worth a try as well. from the Snowy Owls up around Blacksod bay to the rarities down in Cork it has a lot to offer.

I was born in Brighton and still miss the Woodpeckers, Tawny and Little Owls as well as Nuthatches that are all sadly missing from Ireland. I did have Long Eared Owls nest very close to our home though so it isnt all bad I photographed this one in my garden.
Attached Thumbnails
greetings-ireland-long-eared-owl.jpg  
Old 12-05-16, 09:39 PM
Regular

Belting photo. That must be some garden to attract Long Eared Owls.