Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Other Wildlife > UK and Ireland Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-04-16, 09:42 PM
Regular

Don't think they were Orange Tips; too small and, well, orange.

Tony
Old 21-04-16, 07:49 PM
Regular

Orange tips out in force in Warrington
Also green veined whites and my first speckled wood of the year
Old 01-05-16, 11:37 AM
Regular

A first for me yesterday was a Holly Blue in the garden. Never seen one before though there are lots of Common Blues to be seen later in the year. Quite exciting!

Tony
Old 05-05-16, 09:26 PM
Regular

Small Tortoiseshells, Green-veined Whites, Peacocks and Orange-tips on the wing today in a local nature reserve. Only one photo-op though:

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
butterflys-2016-dscn0162-resize.jpg  
Old 06-05-16, 05:25 PM
Regular

A nice fresh male orange tip
On a cockoo flower, there favourite
Old 03-08-16, 10:53 PM
Regular

Despite the number of migratory seabirds that are starting to populate the beaches up here in the north west, it still feels a bit like the birding doldrums at the moment, so I spent yesterday trying to improve my year list of butterflies. The result was a satisfying list for the day: Gatekeeper, large white, small white, green-veined white, painted lady, meadow brown, small skipper, speckled wood, comma, red admiral, dark green fritillary, grayling, peacock, wall brown. 14 in all, plus my first ever gold-ringed dragonfly - not a bad day...

Tony
Old 24-09-16, 01:52 PM
Regular

Default Yet more butterflies.

Got home from a couple of weeks away on Thursday, and was immediately struck by the number of Red Admirals around the Michaelmass Daisies at the end of the garden. I counted eight when they all stayed still. but think there were probably ten altogether. Large and Small Whites around there too, plus - pleasant surprise - two Painted Ladies and a stunning, box-fresh Comma. The latter are new sightings for my garden.

Our neighbour said there had been a very large "swallowtail -type" (his words) butterfly there the day before. Can't imagine what he saw, but when I pointed out the Comma he said "yes, like that, but much bigger". Mind you he thought the Painted Ladies were just strange Red Admirals. Like me he grew up in a world where every white was a "Cabbage White", and by default everything else was a Red Admiral .

Tony