Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Other Wildlife > UK and Ireland Wildlife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-18, 01:46 PM
Regular

A great set of images Martin! The Adonis blue is a beauty, they all are actually!

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 10-06-18, 02:30 PM
Regular

My first of the year Red Admiral in my garden this afternoon!

- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 16-06-18, 01:12 PM
Regular

I reckon I should have titled this thread: Lepidoptera 2018!

All Butterfly and Moth species are welcome on the thread.

A Scarlet Tiger moth was a delight to see whilst I sat enjoying my lunch by the River Severn at Arley, Worcestershire.
Attached Thumbnails
butterflies-2018-img_0033.jpg  

- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 16-06-18, 10:03 PM
Regular

Bottom line is, Judith, that apart from large whites, I'm seeing very few butterflies when I'm out and about locally. Ok, there seem to be a few Speckled Woods around, and in the dunes the other day I found Burnet and Yellowshell moths along with a Common Blue or two. But the sad truth is that even usually common species (Peacock, Red Admiral) are conspicuous by their absence.

All of this made it a delight to see literally dozens of Orange Tips during a trip to Scotland two weeks ago, but this has been more than offset by problems locating dragonflies this summer too. During an extensive search for Red-veined Darter that were spotted locally, all I could turn up was a single male Broad-bodied Chaser, and a visit to a fairly local dragonfly hotspot produced loads of damsel flies, but otherwise only Four-spotted Chasers.

Tony

Oh - in the dunes the other day there were also Small Heath and Small Skippers. And WOW, that tiger moth is a stunner...
Old 17-06-18, 04:00 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sparrow View Post
I reckon I should have titled this thread: Lepidoptera 2018!

All Butterfly and Moth species are welcome on the thread.

A Scarlet Tiger moth was a delight to see whilst I sat enjoying my lunch by the River Severn at Arley, Worcestershire.
Wow indeed not seen a Scarlet Tiger . I have really got in to butterflies and Dragonflies this year they are very interesting insects and have wonderful colours and patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
Bottom line is, Judith, that apart from large whites, I'm seeing very few butterflies when I'm out and about locally. Ok, there seem to be a few Speckled Woods around, and in the dunes the other day I found Burnet and Yellowshell moths along with a Common Blue or two. But the sad truth is that even usually common species (Peacock, Red Admiral) are conspicuous by their absence.

All of this made it a delight to see literally dozens of Orange Tips during a trip to Scotland two weeks ago, but this has been more than offset by problems locating dragonflies this summer too. During an extensive search for Red-veined Darter that were spotted locally, all I could turn up was a single male Broad-bodied Chaser, and a visit to a fairly local dragonfly hotspot produced loads of damsel flies, but otherwise only Four-spotted Chasers.

Tony

Oh - in the dunes the other day there were also Small Heath and Small Skippers. And WOW, that tiger moth is a stunner...
I would agree with you Tony not sure why there is not that many butterflies about. I have only seen one orange tip a couple of Green vained whites not seen a Peacock so far. And today 17/06/18 just seen my 1st Red Admiral and Small Tortoiseshell along with a half dozen Meadow Browns.
Martin
Old 17-06-18, 04:11 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post

Tony

Speckled Woods, a single Red Admiral, a few Whites and not a sniff of an Orange-tip this year is roughly my sightings so far this year!
Maybe when the Buddleias put on a good show we will see a few more species at least in gardens!

The Scarlet Tiger is a beauty hope you catch up with one sometime Tony and Martin.

- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 17-06-18, 05:26 PM
Regular

Just a couple of my recent butterflies. Would you all like to my dragonfly pictures I have taken this year?

butterflies-2018-common-blue-1.jpg

butterflies-2018-_mg_2374-2-.jpg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	13561

butterflies-2018-_mg_2364-2-.jpg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	13562

Last edited by Longhambirder; 17-06-18 at 05:28 PM.
Old 17-06-18, 09:32 PM
Regular

[QUOTE=Longhambirder;123538]Just a couple of my recent butterflies. Would you all like to my dragonfly pictures I have taken this year?

Yes please!
Old 18-06-18, 06:56 PM
Regular

[QUOTE=Tony F;123540]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhambirder View Post
Just a couple of my recent butterflies. Would you all like to my dragonfly pictures I have taken this year?

Yes please!
Yes please!

- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 23-06-18, 07:30 PM
Regular

Been out to a new place today looking for butterflies, I was informed about this new place and the White Admirals and Silver-washed Fritillarys as the Silver- washed would be a first for me I went in search.Found 14 White Admirals,6 Silver-washed Fritillarys and lots of meadow browns,Speckled Woods, Ringlets, Marbled Whites seen These are just record shot.

butterflies-2018-marbled-white.jpg

butterflies-2018-_mg_2384.jpg

butterflies-2018-silvdr-washed-fritillary.jpg