Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > What is that Bird?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-03-09, 10:40 AM
Hatchling Member

Default Muscovy Duck?

The following bird has been roaming the High Street along with the seagulls where I live with no-one being able to identify it....seems to be the body of a duck with the colouring of a seagull. As it is always with the seagulls the common consensus is that it is some kind of mutant seagull.

Although I have not seen one of this colouring I think that it is a Muscovy Duck.....what do you think?

By the way, Barry Hutchison is a mate of mine so there is no problem with the photo

All the best

Andy

Last edited by andy_e; 31-03-09 at 10:51 AM.
Old 31-03-09, 01:32 PM
Regular

Smile Muscovy Duck

Hi, yes, it's definitely a Muscovy Duck. They're often kept as pets, so perhaps it has strayed from someone's garden and has stuck with the gulls for company.
www.birding.uk.com
Old 31-03-09, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Smile Muscovy Duck

Domestic duck breeds aren't normally illustrated in bird field guides, hence the problem about identifying them.

Our regulars on this forum are working on this to help this frequent problem people have by creating a Domestic and Hybrid Wildfowl Photo Album and other resources and information.

In the wild, the Muscovy Duck (Cairina moschata) is native to Mexico, Central and South America.

The Muscovy Duck has distinctive red facial skin. The red skin can be quite bumpy with a knob on top of the bill. The wild type plumage of muscovy is all black, glossy greenish on the back, and with large white wing patches. But, because of our fondness for white, domestic muscovies can be pure white, all black, or any degree of pied black-and-white.
www.birding.uk.com
Old 01-04-09, 09:17 AM
Hatchling Member

Smile

Thanks for the input folks. Afraid some folk still believe it is a mutant seagull though and I don't think anything will change their minds. However, knowing them, they are probably just enjoying the attention that the mutant seagull theory is bringing them
Old 01-04-09, 09:49 AM
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to clydebirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_e View Post
Thanks for the input folks. Afraid some folk still believe it is a mutant seagull though and I don't think anything will change their minds. However, knowing them, they are probably just enjoying the attention that the mutant seagull theory is bringing them
Hi Andy

I'm in the process of producing a gallery of hybrid and domestic waterfowl to help with their identification, do you think your friend would mind if I used the image in the gallery?

Cheers, John

Gallery is at Hybrid and domestic Wildlfowl
Old 01-04-09, 10:17 AM
Hatchling Member

Thumbs up

Hi John

I am sure he would have no objection at all. Just go ahead and include it and I will contact him just to make sure....if he has any objection it can always be taken off and I will go into town and get you a photo myself.

All the best
Andy
Old 01-04-09, 11:14 AM
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to clydebirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_e View Post
Hi John

I am sure he would have no objection at all. Just go ahead and include it and I will contact him just to make sure....if he has any objection it can always be taken off and I will go into town and get you a photo myself.

All the best
Andy
Thanks for that, I have credited the photo to your friend but let me know if he objects

Cheers, John
Old 01-04-09, 04:38 PM
Hatchling Member

Thumbs up

Hi John

He says there is no problem with using it.

All the best
Andy