Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > What is that Bird?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-08-16, 10:15 PM
Hatchling Member

Question Unidentified Raptor

Saw this today in bogland in central Ireland, the smaller is a common Buzzard, the larger I am not sure about. Very white on the underwing, heavy long neck and large Beak. Had the local Buzzards quite upset with both male and female birds mobbing it.

Apologies for the poor light in the photos, they were very high up.

First thought was a pair of Buzzards as the Male was calling loudly, then the larger bird got mobbed by 4 Buzzards and finally glided off, only larger raptor in this area is a white tailed eagle and this certainly wasnt big enough to be a 'barn door'

unidentified-raptor-raptor2.jpg

unidentified-raptor-raptor1.jpg
Old 25-08-16, 10:03 AM
Hatchling Member

Just posting one more image of the bird as it might help with an id

unidentified-raptor-raptor3.jpg
Old 25-08-16, 02:12 PM
Regular

White-tailed Eagle for me
Old 25-08-16, 03:47 PM
Hatchling Member

Default Thx

Thanks Astafjevs

That would be a nice find as it isnt tagged and all of the released birds here carry radio transmitters, no id tag on either leg.

I will have to keep a closer eye down at the local patch.
Old 25-08-16, 07:47 PM
Regular

it certainly has the right shape for sea eagle, broad wings, and sort wide tail.
Old 25-08-16, 10:31 PM
Hatchling Member

Thanks for the confirmation, I have spoken to the local National Parks and Wildlife Ranger who confirmed a 4yr old Male white tail is known in the area but has been absent for some time after managing to shed both the transmitter and foot tags.

The photos at least confirm he is alive and well.

Thanks for the very quick id guys
Old 26-09-16, 09:49 PM
Regular

I'm struggling to see this as a White-tailed Eagle. The wings don't look broad enough to me, not to the ends at least. Not sure the bill is huge enough either, and the overall size in comparison to the Buzzards isn't big enough (compare with these, these and these). The description of very white underwing doesn't match White-tailed Eagle (and from what I can see of the underwing colour, which isn't much, there does indeed seem to be at least a pale patch at the base of the primaries, which shouldn't be present on White-tailed Eagle). I would think a fourth-year bird would be starting to show white on the tail too, although I'm not sure you would necessarily make that out in these photos. As for what it is if it's not a White-tailed Eagle, I'm not sure. Suspect we may need better (less silhouetted, or more showing the outline silhouette from different angles) photos.
Old 26-09-16, 10:21 PM
Regular

I'm with Dave here - the tail looks too long and the wings not broad enough for a WTE, especially in that last photo. If anything the last photo looks more like a Golden eagle. Would fit with the white patch at the base of the primaries for a sub adult bird.
Mick