Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > What is that Bird?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-08-17, 11:36 PM
Regular

The first rule of buzzards is they're very variable As Tony says, this looks like a very pale one.
Old 26-08-17, 06:48 AM
Regular

Common Buzzard for me too.

Check out this Buzzard I photographed locally to me in March of this year. I have never seen a 'Pale Phase Buzzard' as pale as this one and neither had another birder who I was speaking to at the time the buzzard arrived on the scene! A stunning looking bird in flight!
Attached Thumbnails
what-type-falcon-p1150503.jpg   what-type-falcon-p1150506.jpg  

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 30-08-17, 09:53 PM
Regular

I would say pale phased Buzzard like the rest see a few in Dorset.
Old 30-08-17, 10:10 PM
Hatchling Member

Hi

Thanks all. I agree, it is probably a pale buzzard. A bit less exciting than I'd previously thought but but still beautiful.
Old 10-09-17, 09:39 AM
Regular

One of my friends is a falconer of 40+ years and last year he invited me to the Fazza Dubai Falconry Championships, he told me then that it is a misconception that the Peregrine is the fastest Falcon, itís actually the Gyr and breeders cross them for the Gyrís speed and the Peregrineís stamina. I was quite surprised by this, but it was confirmed by material I saw at the show.
The championships are unbelievable, with prizes like brand new Range Rovers and top end Mercedes as well as hefty cash prizes.
This is a photo I took at the show.
Attached Thumbnails
what-type-falcon-fazza.jpg  
Old 10-09-17, 05:18 PM
Regular

Sorry to say your friend is wrong the Peregrine holds that record,as seen in many record books and documents.Flying with the fastest birds on the planet: Peregrine Falcon - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-_RHRAzUHM
Old 10-09-17, 08:38 PM
Regular

Nothing surprises me in the world of falconry.

A few years ago I was bought a day's falconry at a centre in North Yorkshire. The high point was flying a Golden Eagle from and to my fist. Unbelievable!

What amazed me though, was the care and - well, science - that goes into keeping birds fit and suitable for hunting. This was all behind the scenes you understand, not for the day to day punters, who were directed towards the over-fed and thus content and placid specimens in the "mews".

In particular I was astonished to hear that each bird had a form book for breeding purposes - just like horse breeding - and artificial cross-fertilisation to meet the needs of a customer (many of whom were from the Middle East) was commonplace. High five-figure sums could be charged for a bird that was custom-bred for a particular hunting profile to a client's specification.

Tony
Old 11-09-17, 04:45 AM
Regular

Hi Alan, Tony,

Yeah I was also a bit shocked to hear about the Gyr being known for its greater speed (than the Peregrine) and I believe that it’s not about stoop speed (which is the Peregrines forte) rather than overall flying speed. These guys in the Falconry business are paying funny money for birds ($200K and beyond) so I lean more towards their understanding of the birds, they are involved on a daily basis inside the business so why not trust their word?
That was a great video Alan, thanks for sharing.

This is an image of what’s called a “Golden Falcon” which are a speciality of a German breeder, this is over $200K per bird and they are incredibly sought after, my friend accompanied a Kuwaiti Sheikh to purchase this bird, and while there he saw 2, so he bought both to give one as a gift to his uncle!!!!!! They flew it in Dubai and lost it, while tracking it (my friend works for a company that sells GPS systems) they rolled the 4x4 and my friend was sporting a back brace for months as he compressed several vertebrae! Crazy stuff!
Attached Thumbnails
what-type-falcon-image1.jpg  

Last edited by StewartK; 11-09-17 at 08:37 AM.