Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > What is that Bird?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-12-17, 12:26 PM
Hatchling Member

Default bird of prey

I was at Montrose Basin the other day and was lucky enough to encounter a bird of prey "mobbing" or hunting the waders. It was going for the Redshank and Oystercatchers so was aiming high.

I was wondering whether it could be a peregrine?

I got a few photo's although unfortunately they are not good quality as it all happened so quick

I'm having some problems uploading photos on the server for some reason :/ so I've added a link to my flicker account

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159448...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159448...posted-public/

Last edited by Katrina; 17-12-17 at 12:33 PM.
Old 17-12-17, 02:42 PM
Regular

Ummm. I've seen both Peregrine and Sparrowhawk hunting the wader flocks on the coast near Southport, so it could be either, and the photos aren't really a great deal of help since the first suggests Peregrine and the second looks more like a Lapwing than either of the above, and a Sparrowhawk more than a Peregrine.

You say it was "aiming high". Peregrine typically stoops from a height into the flock and picks its target from the resulting chaos, whereas Sparrowhawk tends to close in at lower level by stealth (not much cover on the beach) and again pursues its target amongst the fleeing birds. In my experience Sparrowhawk tends to give up the pursuit fairly quickly whilst Peregrine is rather more relentless. So, in short, the id might depend on how the bird was behaving rather than, eg, wing shape (long and narrow for the Peregrine, much broader and rounded for the Sprawk) or plumage characteristics.

Hope this is some help...

Tony
Old 17-12-17, 07:23 PM
Hatchling Member

Thanks for all the info Tony I love learning more about birds! The bird was flying high and swooping on to the waders at least twice and possibly 3 times whilst I was there before it flew south and out of my sight. I do apologies about the pictures but it all happened very quickly. Glad to have witnessed it though!
Old 17-12-17, 08:50 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
Thanks for all the info Tony I love learning more about birds! The bird was flying high and swooping on to the waders at least twice and possibly 3 times whilst I was there before it flew south and out of my sight. I do apologies about the pictures but it all happened very quickly. Glad to have witnessed it though!
No problem, and from this, my preference would be for Peregrine.

I recall seeing both a Peregrine and a Sparrowhawk attack the same huge cloud of waders at the same time. The attack from above split the cloud into two large groups whilst the other bird wreaked havoc flying into the flock at virtually ground level. Until the flock split I was unaware of either, but it was spectacular.

Tony
Old 19-12-17, 05:18 AM
Regular

very hard to judge from the pictures, but the wings look to stubby for
any raptor, and to light coloured for a peregrine, unless its a trick
of the light, I for one would not like to say.