Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > What is that Bird?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-18, 08:30 PM
Hatchling Member

Default Bird ID - RSPB Arne, Dorset

Hi all

Initially heard then managed to see this chappy singing in a tree on Coombe Heath, Arne in Dorset. Late June. Subsequent searches and investigation have failed to supply an ID so any help would be appreciated. It's the chestnut eye surround and black cap that are proving hard to match. The rump has got a greenish tinge which may not show well in the photos.
Sorry but he had his back to me and was grooming at the time.

Cheers

Old 03-07-18, 10:04 PM
Regular

My thoughts are that it may be a young Chaffinch. I have a couple of photo's that I took at RSPB Arne in June, your bird look's very similar to the bird I saw perched by the feeding stations. I will add a photo sometime tomorrow if I get time.

Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 04-07-18, 12:53 AM
Hatchling Member

Thanks Little Sparrow...Yes, chaffinch was the only bird I could find with the chestnut eye patch but I couldn't find an illustration with a black head. Maybe it's just the way the camera has picked up the light.
It would be interesting to see your photos too.
Old 04-07-18, 07:13 AM
Regular

These are the 2 images I took of the male Chaffinch and what I reckon is a juvenile. It was perched for quite awhile and preening occasionally.
Attached Thumbnails
bird-id-rspb-arne-dorset-p1100473.jpg   bird-id-rspb-arne-dorset-p1100474.jpg  

- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 04-07-18, 09:45 AM
Hatchling Member

I'm certain you are right. The chestnut eye patch and greenish rump are clinchers. I think I got obsessed with the black head and ignored everything else.
You live and learn.

Thanks Little Sparrow.
Old 04-07-18, 12:45 PM
Regular

Chaffinch for me too.

How great to be at Arne at this time of year. A feast of dragonflies, Dartford Warblers, and Nightjars. If I lived close enough I think I'd be there all the time. Stunning place, and perhaps even better than Leighton Moss in some respects.

Tony
Old 04-07-18, 01:09 PM
Hatchling Member

I couldn't agree more. It's got a stunning variety of habitats that are always packed with life. The café is pretty good too. Last year we sat outside the café and watched a Nightjar roosting in a nearby tree.

Brownsea Island is always worth a visit too. The lagoon was filled with terns, gulls, oystercatchers and ducks all looking out for and feeding their chicks.

Such a special area.
Old 04-07-18, 02:21 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alahol2 View Post
I'm certain you are right. The chestnut eye patch and greenish rump are clinchers. I think I got obsessed with the black head and ignored everything else.
You live and learn.

Thanks Little Sparrow.
Your welcome! I am just pleased to have an ID correct.lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony F View Post
Chaffinch for me too.

How great to be at Arne at this time of year. A feast of dragonflies, Dartford Warblers, and Nightjars. If I lived close enough I think I'd be there all the time. Stunning place, and perhaps even better than Leighton Moss in some respects.

Tony
Quote:
Originally Posted by alahol2 View Post
I couldn't agree more. It's got a stunning variety of habitats that are always packed with life. The café is pretty good too. Last year we sat outside the café and watched a Nightjar roosting in a nearby tree.

Brownsea Island is always worth a visit too. The lagoon was filled with terns, gulls, oystercatchers and ducks all looking out for and feeding their chicks.

Such a special area.
My first visit to Arne and a most enjoyable one at that! A Lifer with a Dartford Warbler heard first and then eventually seen was the highlight! Brownsea Island was also visited! As alahol2 has mentiomned the Lagoon was buzzing with Terns, Gulls etc!

I am thinking an Autumn visit to these area would also be productive! Splendid RSPB and Dorset Wildlife Reserves!

- Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 05-07-18, 07:16 PM
Regular

A Chaffinch for me. Arne is a great place to visit at any time of year autumn is a very good time. Spent many a happy hour or two there, one of my best memories is seeing and count c700 Avocets in the Middlebere channel, and a Osprey over head so close I was so susprised that I just watch the bird and forgot about my camera on the bench on combe heath and anyone could of walked of with it.