Birding UK and Ireland Forum  

Go Back   Birding UK and Ireland Forum > Ask a Question > What is that Bird?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-09-18, 04:44 PM
Regular

Default What about this one

Today this bird appeared suddenly from the periphery and I was only barely able to snap it before it disappeared from view. Not the best picture, I know. Would love some pointers on what it is!

https://imgur.com/a/mY4IU2P
Old 25-09-18, 09:46 PM
Regular

I'm a firm believer in instinctive reactions when I catch only a fleeting glimpse of a bird, such as you describe here. My first impression of this is Kestrel, but it would be good to have some basic information such as size relative to - say - a pigeon/ blackbird/ crow etc.

The trouble with first impressions is that usually they tell me what a bird is not rather than what is is... If you see what I mean.

Tony
Old 25-09-18, 10:14 PM
Regular

Quote:
I'm a firm believer in instinctive reactions when I catch only a fleeting glimpse of a bird, such as you describe here. My first impression of this is Kestrel, but it would be good to have some basic information such as size relative to - say - a pigeon/ blackbird/ crow etc.

The trouble with first impressions is that usually they tell me what a bird is not rather than what is is... If you see what I mean.
So true. I only typically see 2 birds of prey in my area - buzzards and red kites - and so when I spot something that looks different it immediately stands out, even with the briefest glimpse. But I'm so bad at identifying birds of prey that I defer judgement. Having said that, my first guess was a kestrel. It was definitely smaller and sleeker than a buzzard.
Old 28-09-18, 07:59 PM
Regular

Could be a kestrel, could be a sparrowhawk? Unlikely to be anything else.
Old 07-10-18, 11:00 AM
Regular

I would say by the colour and wing pattern, long tail. that it is a sparrowhawk.